Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New SHock Or ReValve

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SHock Or ReValve

im gettting rear suspension for my raptor. i was told that the stock rear shock is good enough for the quad all i need is to revalve and respring with ZPS and it will handle just like an elka shock. Whats the benefit from getting a new Shock? is paying the extra $$$ worth getting the new shock im looking at elka to do the revalve or to get the new shock.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

New style shocks often come with a rezzie if you choose to help keep the oil cooler inside the shock which allows it to peform to its full potential the whole day. With aftermarket you also get the bennifits of adjustments such as compression and rebound.

Im not sure of the raptors rear suspension set-up, so I can't comment on wether or not it already includes these adjustments, but usually most stockers don't. It's defently a bonus to have the adjustment at the turn of a dial for different riding conditions you may encounter during a trip.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:18 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the rear shock on my Z revalved and setup for me and it works awesome. Before I had it done the desert whoops would buck me like freakin crazy, now it's like a Caddy!! My TRX will be done next, the same way............

Old 02-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

I ran my stock rear shock on a +1 1/2" LSR swingarm for a while, running it on trails and motocross tracks. That shock could not handle the additional length and wider axle. Even though I could adjust it, it just didn't seem up to the challenge. I thought about having it revalved, but the prices I got were around $500.

I'm unfamiliar with the re-valving, but I don't think it's worth it. At that price, you're not very far from a new shock. I bought a Works Ultracross with rez and comp/reb adjustments for $300, and the first thing I noticed immediately was the size of the spring. The works spring was much bigger in diameter and thickness. This shock also has a lot more adjustments than the stocker. This shock, like most aftermarket, is also a dual-rate, something the stocker does not have. I don't know if a re-valve has this or not.

I noticed the difference right away when I took it out on an indoor mx track. The new shock soaked everything up. Clipping the tops of landings or overshooting the bigger jumps didn't matter, I couldn't feel it.

Also, most aftermarket shocks will give you a little more travel than the stocker. Again, I'm not familiar with the re-valves, so you may want to call some of these shops and find out exactly what they offer, how the shock will be outfitted, and comparative measurements to the stocker. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:20 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly mine cost me in the $140 range.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

$140?! Who did it? What did they do?

I know a couple shops in Mansfield who will revalve your shock and put a stiffer spring on it for $250, and the only other thing they do is change the oil.

When I was shopping for re-valves for my raptor shock, the prices I found were all over $400.
TCS wanted $410 for a new dual-rate spring, re-valving, new piston and nitro re-charge. Elka wanted over $500, but they would also convert the shock to a remote reservoir.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

IT cost 150 + parts ( seals, springs) comes out to about $190. my stock rear shock has rebound and comp adj. and if its is revalved it will be done with dual rate set up.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

so who's doing it for you?

Old 02-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

I would revalve if money was tight

the linkage and rear shock from elka is awesome if you can afford it

but the better value is to revalve for everyday riding, elka if you get paid to win[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

do you have the elka & linkage in the rear?

Quick Reply: New SHock Or ReValve