Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what happend????

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what happend????

ok 2001 warrior i just had a new crank, piston, boring done , hotcam,and oil pump put in.after the breakin about 1-2 hours of light ridding reset the valves started it up and there was a loud ticking bafor i could shut it down the ticking went away but it smoked bad. i took it apart thinking i bent a valve or something. valves are fine. what i found was the piston was froze on the piston pin, there is scoring on the timing chain side of the cylender and the piston has a crack and it seems to be burnt on that side. what happend ? what would couse this ? i called the shop that did the work thay told me to bring it back for a look. but i would like your input on what could couse this.
please give input.
thanx vincent

Old 02-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Range Rover
Default what happend????

no mechanics here that have any idea what would couse this??

Old 02-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default what happend????

could have put the rings on incorrectly, or didndt set the ring gap right. Or the wrist pin clip did not seat and came out. Anyway you look at it it's their fault and they should warranty it.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Range Rover
Default what happend????

Originally posted by: warwgn
could have put the rings on incorrectly, or didndt set the ring gap right. Or the wrist pin clip did not seat and came out. Anyway you look at it it's their fault and they should warranty it.
clips were in there. i was thinking it got to hot some how..
i sure hope thay see it as there fault i just spent $1000 and it lasted me about 1-2 hours
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2005, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default what happend????

It seems very odd that this happened right after you adjusted your valves. Sounds like a coincidence though.

Did you have a shop build and assemble your engine or did they just do machine work and you put it together? If they put it together, you should not have touched it before letting them check it out.

Hopefully they will make it right.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Range Rover
Default what happend????

Originally posted by: Madwolverine
It seems very odd that this happened right after you adjusted your valves. Sounds like a coincidence though.

Did you have a shop build and assemble your engine or did they just do machine work and you put it together? If they put it together, you should not have touched it before letting them check it out.

Hopefully they will make it right.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
shop did the work.i thought i did something when i addjusted the valves so i took it apart, but the valve addjustment had nothing to do with it. i took the moter out and am taking it down to the shop today.
i was hopeing i could get some input from hear so when thay look at it and if thay say its not there falt i have some thing to say

Old 02-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!
Default what happend????

I hope you never told them about you touching it, I wouldn't tell em you touched it at all. Dont give em any excuse to put the blame on you. Just tell them that you took it out for 1-2 hours and then this.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default what happend????

How did it run for the first 2 hours. Was it low of oil? Did you take it easy on the break-in?

There really is no way for them to blame it on you. However, they can say anything. If they are decent, they will make this right. There is nothing you could have done to cause the piston to seize to the pin (other than drain the oil and keep running it).

Old 02-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Range Rover
Default what happend????

Originally posted by: Madwolverine
How did it run for the first 2 hours. Was it low of oil? Did you take it easy on the break-in?

There really is no way for them to blame it on you. However, they can say anything. If they are decent, they will make this right. There is nothing you could have done to cause the piston to seize to the pin (other than drain the oil and keep running it).
oil was fine and it seemed to run good.
thanx for input

Old 02-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default what happend????

This whole deal could be caused by many, many things. If you did not do anything stupid like rap it out on an ice cold engine or run it low on oil the most likely cause will be a tight wrist pin when they put it together.
If they got the wrist pin a little tight to begin with it will gall some and get hot; which will cause it to gall some more and on and on.............until up locks up or scuffs the **** out of the piston.
It should not make any difference but like the cam, the piston pin is splashed oiled. In my opinion you are doing it an injustice by breaking it in slow. The more oil you can get splashed on the pin the better. (Higher RPM) That's one of the reasons why cam makers don't want you to idle a new cam.
Detonation could also cause this. How much compression did they set it at and what kind of fuel did you run in it? There is not many things other than detonation that will cause a crack in a piston top.

Quick Reply: what happend????