Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior engine trouble

When ever I ride my 99 warrior for a little over a half an hour it will just die, if i go to hit the throttle it does nothing. If I try to start it right after it will just keep on cranking but not turn over. The only way i can get it to start right after is if I push start it down a hill or have some one pull me and start it. After it sits for a while I can start it by using my electric start. I was just wondering if anybody out there was having similar problems or could tell me what i need to do to fix it. I was also wondering if my quad is just overheating and i need to change the oil and oil filter and help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

had the same problem with a 86 honda 200sx. it would just die and i could crank it for ever and it wouldnt start but if i pop started it it would start right up. It wasnt my quad so i never resolved the problem i was just putting new front wheel berrings and brake shoes for a neighbor. from what i know it happended to them twice or three times again on one day and i had to go up there and pop start it but i dont think it has happened to them again. im thinking but not positive that the problem is some where in the sensor that only allows the quad to start in neutral. it could allow it to crank but not turn over. im thinking its somthing along these lines because when you pop start it, it starts. next time it happens when trying to start it crank it a bit, shift into 1st and then back down into neutral and try it again. if thats not it it has to be some electrical short somewhere......

Old 02-14-2005, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

It could be a bunch of different things.

If the engine is spinning slower after riding for a while it could be from heating up the starter and the battery not being fully charged enough to get it spinning fast enough to run.

Other things like the cdi, coil, and even the engine itself can be causing it, but heat would still very likely be at the root of the problem.

Have you done any intake or exhaust mods? If so was it rejetted properly? I ask because if its running on the lean side the engine can heat up more and this not only causes the things above but also reduces internal clearences which causes the engine to require more voltage to spin in the first place.

I would confirm the egine isnt getting any hotter than it should first, and then check out those others after.

And just for the sake of tackling the easy stuff first I would put a good charge on the battery and see what difference that makes, but still keep the other stuff in mind for being part of the problem.

Good luck