Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Reverse Limiter

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Reverse Limiter

Not trying to second guess anybody here.

This mod looks pretty simple from the sandwizards sight. I emailed the guys there and they said that mod was from somebody that no longer works for them.

Just wondering if anybody has done the mod as it is detailed on the sand wizards sight, and if so, what they're feelings were on it before I start hacking at my wires.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Being someone who rides mostly motocross and bull-dozed trails, I may see this topic differently. But the rev-limiter was obviously put there for a reason, why remove it?

Anyone who rides a raptor knows that it's not meant for riding in reverse. Yamaha only added the feature for when you come to a trail's end, an impassable obstacle or just need to back up a little. They weren't intending for us to use it to get ourselves out of mud puddles or climb up hills backwards, because the bike itself just isn't designed for that kind of riding.

While everyone encounters this sort of thing, something about letting my engine free-rev in it's lowest gear doesn't sound appealing to me. But, to each his own, and after all, it is your machine. So do what you like. More power to you.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:59 AM
Range Rover

Yeah I definitely see your point and where your coming from.

My style of riding consists mostly of riding in the woods, on trails which can get pretty tight and often pretty muddy. Granted this isn't what the Raptor is completely designed for, but it gets me through the trails, and when I get out in the open I like to open it up as much as possible. But when I'm down in a trail and find no place to go forward while my rears are half sunk in mud. The rev limiter makes reverse useless and your only option is to get off and lift the thing out of the holes....which gets old after the 5th or 6th time that day, especially when you have to overcome the suction effect you've made in those holes.

Anyway, I don't see a problem with the operator being in control of the revs, even if its the lowest gear, you just have to be smart with the gas and the clutch. For the type of riding I sometimes enjoy its all but necessary.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You arent hacking into any wires.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] All you are doing is putting a scotch-lock splice into one wire and grounding it out. All you have to do is remove the splice and ground wire and its just like oem...

You always have the option of paying 20 bucks plus shipping for a part from ripper racing or soldering in your own resistor though if you feel so inclined.

Old 02-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Range Rover

I'll be giving the bypass illustrated on sandwizards.com a whirl tomorrow or the next day. If any body is interested I can post back with the results I had...

Old 02-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a white plug with two wires in it behind the lower side plastic on the left side (shifter side) just above the starter. Just pull out slightly on the side plastic and you can pull this white plug out to work on it. The white plug has the required green wire with a white stripe on it. Splice into the green/white stripe wire with a splicing plug and ground the splice wire anywhere on the frame. The reverse light will no longer work. This method works great. Five minute job!

Old 02-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

i dunno if u guys care, but at ripper racing, for 25$ they sell a block off for the limiter that dissables the limiter, and keeps your reverse light totally functional. just go to Ripper Racing and type in reverse as a keyword. hope this works, id rather spend 25$ then cutting wires and having no reverse light, thats just me though. good luck---Rider1169

Old 02-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Range Rover

Just to let you guys know, im pretty sure the reverse "gear" isn't that strong, thats why there IS a rev limiter on it already from the factory. They put reverse on there for backing up short ditances and to back up from an object, etc. Not for climbing out of mudholes and so on, thats really hard on gears, and reverse would seem like its not that strong. I unno though, its your machine, thats just what i think, i might be worng though

Old 02-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

im also pretty sure the reason for the limiter is because the gear is so wide, and there was problems of ppl going 15 in reverse and stalling and flipping over backwards, or something just like that. thats what i read anywho.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Range Rover

yeah, flipping over backwards hurts, ive done it once on my raptor. And a bunch of times on my old honda. I love reverse to death on my quad and thats why the limiter is staying so it doesn't bust the transmission or somehting and then id have to get a new one. Reverse is a big reason i got a raptor, my buddys blaster doesn't have reverse and i ride it a lot, and i hate not being able to back up with it, and whenever we ride, he has to get off atleast close to 5 times. and i never have to get off, yay, so fun

Quick Reply: Raptor Reverse Limiter