Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Reverse Limiter

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 04:10 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Reverse Limiter

Just want to know for sure how to bypass the rev limiter for reverse on a Raptor 660. Its an '04 if that makes a difference.

There is that wire the goes into the engine case, which has a 90 degree connecter at the end which connects to a post, which is bolted into the engine case. Do you simply disconnect this wire and ground it to your frame? Thanks for any info.

Thanks again

Old 02-14-2005, 05:25 AM
Trailblazer

why do u want to un hook the limiter

Old 02-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Range Rover

On the Raptor, when you put it in reverse, the rev limiter kicks in at only 2000 rpm. This is basically all you need if your on flat dry terrain, but when your wheels are in mud or snow or sand it isn't enough. In these cases, you rev the engine and let the clutch out, but at only 2000 rpm the motor isn't making enough power to spin the rear wheels and usually the motor dies. By bypassing the reverse rev limiter you would hopefully correct this while still maintaining the engine rev limiter in the rest of the forward gears. Or atleast that is what I am hoping.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Trailblazer

ok i understand now

Old 02-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: LikeitsStolen
On the Raptor, when you put it in reverse, the rev limiter kicks in at only 2000 rpm. This is basically all you need if your on flat dry terrain, but when your wheels are in mud or snow or sand it isn't enough. In these cases, you rev the engine and let the clutch out, but at only 2000 rpm the motor isn't making enough power to spin the rear wheels and usually the motor dies. By bypassing the reverse rev limiter you would hopefully correct this while still maintaining the engine rev limiter in the rest of the forward gears. Or atleast that is what I am hoping.
Man , I know exactly waht you mean. I tried to turn around on a muddy slope on my 05 Raptor. My bike was on a slight slope and when i tried to back up the slope the tires would start to spin, the bike would die due to the rev limiter. It took a couple tries but i finally made it up the slope in reverse. If u get this figured out, post it.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Range Rover

i have a 2004 raptor and had the same problem and my local deler told me how to do this and it works great u just dont have a reverse light on when your in reverse. if u go just under the fenders on the left side [shifter side] where the seam is for the front and rear fender you will find a white plug in with two wires you want to take the green wire with the white stripe in it and ground it out to the frame. I didnt like the idea off cutting my wires so i just unpluged the conector and stuck a pice of wire into the plug on the side that the green and white one was on and pluged it back in then grounded it to the nerest fender mount. you will know it is right if u put it into reverse and u have no reverse light

Old 02-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

Alright, I think I know what your talking about. There is a mass of maybe 5-6 wire harness plugs right along the upper left frame tube on the raptor. They're all part of one big wire wrap...which runs along just under the gas tank on the left side. Is that where your finding the white plug your talking about? If so, that doesn't sound like to terrible of a job to do, may have to give that a whirl.....

Anything to let me control my own reverse and not that stupid limiter, I could see it being nice if you were new to riding or something, but man what a pain...especially on a fourwheeler which is obviously meant for somebody that has a clue on how to ride...

Thanks for your time guys...

Old 02-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Range Rover

i would have to go out and look if ur looking at the right thing but it is just to the right or left of the fender seam of the front and rear fenders. what i was told is it was a green wire with a white stripe that came out of the rev box or think thats what it is its the big black box mounted in the rear fenderes behind the battery. so i traced it up the side off the machine to the nerest plug in so i didnt have to cut n e but if u have n e doubs trace it from the rev box up i wish i had a camra so i could put pics up to help every one out because boy did the rev limter for reverse make me mad

Old 02-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

"i would have to go out and look if ur looking at the right thing but it is just to the right or left of the fender seam of the front and rear fenders. "

I see, I'm just not sure what you mean about the seam of the front and rear fenders, I'm over at school now and my Raptor is at home so I can't take a look at it right now. The only seam I can think of is the seam which goes around the handle bars. Otherwise the plastic is all one piece isn't it? Sorry, can't remember for sure...I've had the stupid plastic off enough times already I should know better...

Old 02-15-2005, 12:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This topic is just as common as asking which pipe is best for the raptor.

Since there isnt much searching going on here, why dont you guys head to sandwizards.com. Go to tips and tricks, select raptor, and click on the reverse rev limiter removal link. Read, apply, enjoy.

Quick Reply: Raptor Reverse Limiter