Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Spark plug color/ Time? Plz help rele quicK!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug color/ Time? Plz help rele quicK!

hey guys, i forgot, what color is the little oval part under the J supposed to be new? I just road my raptor for about 30 min with a new plug, and the L part is starting to turn a nice tan color, but the Oval Part under the J is WHITE but i think thats how it is new right? How long should i wait untill i get a good reading? thanks all.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Its white when its new, but it should turn brownish/rust color after a good ride. I usually ride for 10-20 minutes...going WOT some times and then just going through the gears at 3/4 throttle. Hope that helps

Old 02-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

if the insulation is white,,,you are on the lean side

if it is black,,,,the rich side

Old 02-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

ok, well i road around for about 30min, WOT 1/2 the time, on a brand new plug. it looks like the isulater is white still, like new, and the L shape is just starting to get a tan color, ill have some more time to ride it tommarow so ill check the plug after the ride, thanks for all the info! Oh btw, i changed jets from 155/160 to 150/155 because with the old jetting, i pulled the plug after like 2 hrs of use, and the insulater was a dark brown, but the L shape part was black.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: Bing

if it is black,,,,the rich side[

bing what is that you have for your avatar?the picture i cant quite make out what it is.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

While jetting carburetors, place a piece of tape on the throttle housing. Place another piece of tape on the throttle grip and draw a line (while the throttle is at idle) straight across from one piece of tape to the other. When these two lines are lined up, the engine will be idling. Now open the throttle to full throttle and draw another line directly across from it on the throttle housing. At this point, there should be two lines on the throttle housing, and one on the throttle grip. Now find the half-way point between both of the lines on the throttle housing. Make a mark and this will show when the throttle is at half throttle. Divide the spaces up even again until idle, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full throttle positions are known. These lines will be used to quickly find the exact throttle opening while jetting.

Clean the air filter and warm the bike up. Accelerate through the gears until the throttle is at full throttle (a slight uphill is the best place for this). After a few seconds of full throttle running, quickly pull in the clutch and stop the engine (Do not allow the engine to idle or coast to a stop). Remove the spark plug and look at its color. It should be a light tan color If it's white, the air/fuel mixture is too lean and a bigger main jet will have to be installed. If it's black or dark brown, the air/fuel mixture is too rich and a smaller main jet will have to be installed. While changing jets, change them one size at a time, test run after each change, and look at the plug color after each run.

After the main jet has been set, run the bike at half throttle and check the plug color. If it's white, lower the clip on the jet needle to richen the air/fuel mixture. If it's dark brown or black, raise the clip to lean the air/fuel mixture.

The pilot circuit can be adjusted while the bike is idling and then test run. If the engine is running poorly just off of idle, the pilot jet screw can be turned in or out to change the air-fuel mixture. If the screw is in the back of the carburetor, screwing it out will lean the mixture while screwing it in will richen it. If the adjustment screw is in the front of the carburetor, it will be the opposite. If turning the screw between one and two and a half doesn't have any affect, the pilot jet will have to be replaced with either a larger or smaller one. While adjusting the pilot screw, turn it 1/4 turn at a time and test run the bike between adjustments. Adjust the pilot circuit until the motorcycle runs cleanly off of idle with no hesitations or bogs.

also some jetting guides recommend warming your bike up and then pulling the plug. put a new one in and do the above test then remove the new sparkplug put the old one back ride home and do a plug chop for more of a accurate reading of the plug.

also i did not write this jetting guide i posted, just sharing what i found

Old 02-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Super Quad Patrol

[quote]
Originally posted by: BURKEDADDY

bing what is that you have for your avatar?the picture i cant quite make out what it is.
its a Rorschach

Old 02-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]

its a Rorschach
so its one of those rorschach test images huh.what do you see when you look at it?

Old 02-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol

[quote]

its a Rorschach
so its one of those rorschach test images huh.what do you see when you look at it?
opera glasses
twin tommy gun
a monster truck missing the landing ramp
a molecule
a constillation
OJ's bloody glove
???

Old 02-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

I see a mouse...

Quick Reply: Spark plug color/ Time? Plz help rele quicK!