Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Warrior breaks up

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Warrior breaks up

I have a 96 warrior that I purchased a few months ago. It runs great cold, but once its warm the ignition starts to break up (sputter, misfire). I have had this sort of problem with cars and lots of times it was a bad plug (cracked porcelain). So I replaced the spark plug, but it didn't fix the issue. The old plug didn't really look that bad....closer to the rich side if I had to choose. Could this be a mixture probelm or does it sound like ignition. Could it be the coil or CDI unit? What is the CDI unit. What does it do exactly? I haven't really had too much time to troubleshoot so I figured maybe someone could point me in the right direction before I begin.

Also, reverse is very difficult to disengage on this warrior. I usually have to shut it off in order to get it back into 1st gear. What could be the cause of this?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any feedback that you give.

Old 03-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Range Rover

It sounds like your parking brake is stuck on, which keeps some yammies from revving

Old 03-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know what you mean about the park brake but that's not it. That did happen to a friend of mines bike though. He forgot he had the park brake on and the bike wouldn't go anywhere....backfiring and what not. My case is totally different. The quad runs great when it's cold. It seems like when it gets hot or is under a load that it breaks up. As your giving it throttle it clears up some, but still holds the bike back from full power.

Thanks for you reply though.

Old 03-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Lean condition, sounds like the bike is overheating. Just a thought but check the jetting

Aaron

Old 03-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

i had a 87 warrior with the same problem with reverse, i noticed the owner i bought it from used a thin weight oil i think synthentic, so i changed it and put 10w40 in it like it calls for and it slipped in and out so easy with no effert and i didn't have to shut it off either. hope this helps, as far as the ignition ? . maybe there is a connection loose or corroded.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Range Rover

I second it sounding like a lean condition, the same thing was happening to my 97 warrior and i had to bump up the main jet some, just because your plug looks ok doesn;t mean it is. If your pilot is jetted correctly or a little and your main is lean it can show you signs of a rich condition because you are mostly running the quad in those parts of the throttle control. Try a bigger main jet and possibly try a different pilot jet also. Good Luck

Old 03-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know if it is the jetting. I have a Wolverine and it breaks up on the very top of wide open throttle, but when I look at the plug it looks as if it is running rich. So I guess I am curious to know if yours is related to carberation.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

yeah check jetting call your dealer tell him your problem he will tell u to go up or down

Old 03-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the feedback. I will try messing around with the jetting like you suggested. As far as the reverse issue goes, I don't believe the weight of the oil is the problem although it was a very good thought. I just changed the oil for the first time since I purchased the quad and I used 10W 40, but it's still very difficult to disengage. Any other thoughts??

Thanks again for all the feedback. I will let you know how I make out.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as reverse goes I would suggest just feathering the clutch while trying to put it in and out of reverse whenever it sticks. Sometimes that will help the gears line up.

Quick Reply: Yamaha Warrior breaks up