Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior head removal questions... Help QUICK!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005 | 08:07 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Warrior head removal questions...

Well the exhaust bolts that go into the pipe from the cylinder broke off so i have to pull the top of the cylinder off so i can get them out. How do I pull just the top of the jug off? Is there an easy way to do this or do I have to mess with all the valves and stuff. I have the 4 bolts off the top of the jug and the 2 allen head bolts out from the side but it got dark and didn;t want to start pulling it apart anymore. Do I have take the sprocket off of the timing chain and everything also? Just want to know exactly I have to do to get that piece off so I can work on the bolts for the exhaust. hope someone can help. Thanx

Old 03-07-2005 | 11:29 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Warrior head removal questions... Help QUICK!!

bump

Old 03-08-2005 | 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

Yup, the cam gear and chain have to come off, also, did you remember the motor mount on top of the head to the frame? Best thing to do is tie a wire onto the timing chain to keep it from dropping into the motor while you pull the head off. How many miles on the motor? might be a good time to pull the jug and put a bigger 10.25 to 1 piston in there for a little more power while you got it apart, barely takes any more time to take the jug and piston out while it's down for repair, and you'll need to replace the top end gaskets anyway.

Old 03-08-2005 | 05:31 PM
|
Range Rover

Ok I thought that i needed to pull the cam gear and chain out. Yes I took off the top motormounts. This is the first four strokes I ever really messed with. I can change out pistons and all that crap on 2 strokes in about a half hour easily. 4 strokes are just new to me and I can say for sure if I like em. But we'll see. I was goin to put a new piston in also while its apart. If i put a 10.25:1 piston in there do i need to mess with the cylinder any or will it fit in there without having to bore it or anything? thanx

Old 03-08-2005 | 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

With the age of your quad, I would imagine it would need a little boring to clean it up anyway, get a .020 or .040 over piston, and give the piston to whoever is doing the boring, so they can match the cylinder to it. If you have access to a micrometer and can measure the cylinder,and find it is not worn, you could get by just cleaning up the walls with the old "rabbit turds" ( a kind of a wire brush with little stones on the ends, hence the nickname" to put a crosshatch back on the cylinder so the new rings will seal good.

Old 03-08-2005 | 07:32 PM
|
Range Rover

I doubt i'm going to do any piston work while i'm fixing the bolts for the head-pipe. I really dont want these quads anymore anyway since it is getting warmer out and I am a dirt bike guy in nicer weather. They both run great so there really is no need for a top end to be done anyways. Unless I come across a cheap piston i'll prob just leave it how it is. I was more concerned about getting the head off anyway. thanx