Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly - should I?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly - should I?

I own a 2004 Honda Rincon and was recently thinking alot about trading it in for a Grizzly. I like the look and the power, but I don't know about the belt drive thing. I like the reliability of Honda, but something seems to be pulling me towards Yamaha. If you guys have any input or advice - pros/cons - it would be appreciated.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer

I can't give you the most technical response, but, I got my new grizz about 4 months ago. The two quads I was looking at were the Rincon and the grizz...I actually had a deposit on the Rincon. Everything I read told me that the Rincon was a great machine but Grizz had some better features (diff. lock, hi and low range) and great power. I was also concerned about the belt tranny but i've had no problems. I love it and would make the same decision again.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

The belt drive on the Griz is awsome. It engages fast and gets up to top spedd in a hurry. It's much faster than shifting gears or the Honda automatic. If you get in water deep enough to flood the belt drive than you are just in water that is too deep. I've been in water up over the tires and have never had a problem with slippage. Having Hi/lo and Dif. lock is like having 3 different quads.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

LOVE MINE, and so does my girl. Bought it for me in the winter & her in the summer. Always been a Honda fan but after the rappy, I'm lookin a different direction, for now anyway! The thing handles like dream, tons of nuggets and goes ANYWHERE. Very easy to ride also, builds a ton of confidence. My girl weighs 103 covered in mud and she has no problems riding it full bore...and this is here first quad!!!
Bottom line, BUY IT, you'll love it!
Chris.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh yeah, the belt drive thing, SWEET! I Plowed for 2 seasons now and she sunk it mud and rivers up to the fenders with no issues.
Shifter was a little notchie when new but broke in very quickly and love that too now.
Yamaha should be paying me for this!!!
Chris.

Old 03-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

it seems to me, most who love honda, talk about reliability. i understand that, but you can take any quad, weaken the engine, and lower the suspencion travel to 4 inchs, and add reliability. remove anything that resembles modern, and your get reliability out of even a eton, lol.
step up to a grizzly, a 750 brute force, or a polaris 7 or 800 and you will giggle again. they handle better, offer more power, have more options, and give back what is lost with ol' reliable.

as for the belt issue. yamaha offers the best belt drive period! the design is great, and keeps constant tension on the belt at all times. no adjustments to it ever. just the ocasional cleaning is all. keep the water below the fenders, and it will treat you great. if you want to go deeper, then snorkle it.
good luck

Old 03-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

check out the new thread regarding the first 1000 miles on a new grizz. good stuff. There is a similar thread on the ATV Nation forum with grizzly owners talking about how reliable they've been.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

get the big grizz u wont b disappointed!!! diff lock will take u anywhere u want to go i ride with some boys that have the hondas and they dont impress me, i just like the grizz better. the belt thing we ride in a creek by my house and we r fender deep every saturday, never had a problem with the belt slipping.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with all of you the belt system is the best out there , the kawi p-650 I had was a great quad but, I was constantly adjusting the clutch, when I got the Griz all those problems went away. Get the Griz. Good luck! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

That belt system is used in snomobiles to transfer over 100 hp. so it is not a weakness. If you sink it, it will give you problems, but I have my griz up to the bottom of the gas tank all the time and not one problem ever. It is highly modifiable and can really astonish you. Mine is insane and handles like a extension of my body. I will it to go and it does. If you do get one, we will talk you thru any mods you may want and you will become an addict. Drink the Grizzly cool-aid. Once you get a taste you will want more. When you launch that thing out of a turn and accelerate all the way up a nasty tree studded hill and lift gently off the ground at the top, you will be grinning from ear to ear.

Quick Reply: Grizzly - should I?