Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

04 Kodiak owners...SWINGARM BREAKING!!!!!!!!! BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Kodiak owners...SWINGARM BREAKING!!!!!!!!! BEWARE!

Has anyone seen this????? we were at H/M last weekend and one of the guys on an 04 450 Kodiak's swingarm broke. When we got home the other Kodiak owner checked his and IT WAS BROKE!.Both guys run stock size tires and have never flipped their machines.This has to be more than a fluke.Both machines have approx 1000 miles on them.The one that broke happened while riding on a flat green trail......
02 650 Camo

Old 03-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have not heard or seen of this problem. I have 2 of them and they are both fine, maybe it was a monday or friday part( monday was too hung over and friday had started to early on his monday hangover.HAHA[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]).

Just out of curiosity, where did it break? Welds? or did the metal have fatigue problems?

AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

They both broke at the "tube" where it connects to the part where the u-joint and drive shaft go down to the diff.
I had a 2000 and it was rock solid BUT after looking they have changed the swingarm on the 04's.The 01-03's were diff so it's like the 04 is all by itself because of course the 05 is IRS.There has to be a problem.....since I posted this the first one that broke Yamaha has agreed to warranty (parts only)Both machines have about 1000 miles each.One completely failed and the guys almost crashed....the other one the guy decided to check his when we got back and it was cracked.
02 650 camo

Old 03-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm,

I guess I might take a better look at them and see if I missed something. 1 has 1000 miles on it and the other about 400.

AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

I would check it and keep an eye on it.The diff on the 04 is on the left side, the part coming to the rear axle tube is bolted vs welded.The second guys was cracked and he did not know it.I have also found out that Yamaha is taking care of it too....parts anyway just no labor.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I havent checked mine yet. Is it posible to get a digital picture of it?I want to make sure Im looking in the right spot.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have anyway to get a pic on here but one of the guys had a pic on his phone.I don't think I can get that.If you are at the rear of the quad look at the section of the arm going side to side on the front part of the arm.This is the section in front of the shock that basically connects the arm.On the left side looking from behind follow the bolted on part (was welded one all but the 04's) and where it connects to the piece going across it's that part that broke.It was real close to where they have the brake line held down in a clamp.I think it's kinda funny that Yamaha did not even flinch in covering it.This was on the same day but at two diff dealers here in Indy.Both called Yamaha.
There is no way this was a coincedence.I was wrong on the mileage...one had 1000 miles and the the other 1700 but like I said earlier these were by no means hard miles.We have had other Kodiaks and they have not done this but they were not 04's.Both guys said they are getting rid of them if the replacement arm looks like the original because in their minds it's only a matter of time before it does it again.
02 650 camo

Old 03-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have pics now.If anyone wants them PM me and I will e-mail them.I don't know how to put then in here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
02 650 camo

Old 03-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Wow. That's not cool. Is the crack on top or the bottom?

Old 10-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I found this post afterall again.

kodiac1, Broke my swing arm during hunting season and in the same spot you said. It cracked the tube and the welds on the bracket to the axle came apart. Used a ratchet strap to pull the axle back into place, then drilled a hole into the bracket and put a bolt on it. This helped me limp out to the truck(13 miles of rivers, bog and lots of rocks) that is until the rear shock snapped off at the bottom, used 550 cord to hold it into the rear ball holder. Checked with Yamaha and they said they have never heard of this, another dealer I went to said he has seen it quite a bit and he even thought he had one in stock(did not) where the other dealer claimed he has never seen this or even had to sell a swing arm. Needless to say I am disappointed at 1400 miles in craftsmanship.

AlaskaBoy.

Quick Reply: 04 Kodiak owners...SWINGARM BREAKING!!!!!!!!! BEWARE!