Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New(er) Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New(er) Wolverine

Hi Everyone.

I bought my first quad last week. It's an '03 Black Wolverine with skid plates and a warn conversion kit. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I sold my MX bike, then bought this, so It's a lot different.

I'm more relaxed, I can move slow if I want to. It's not really about speed right now, but I've only been out by myself so far.

It doesn't climb like my bike did, less guts, less compression. It's better in some spots and worse in others. I guess it's really no use to keep comparing the Wolverine to an RM.

I haven't done much maintenence to it yet and noticed the owners manual doesn't have a whole lot in it. Anyone have a good source for a shop manual or should I just hit the dealer?

I'm planning on a full fluid change which the manual does cover.

I notice a slapping sound from the head at steady midrange RPM's. I'm guessing that the valves need adjusting, anyone have comments on this one?

The conversion kit lets me go 2 or 4 wheel drive, I've been using a lot of 4wd right now with the mud and some snow still here. Just about gone now. (The snow that is)

I'm planning on a front rack. Does anyone have any mod suggestions that they have done? I will use it for playriding and hopefully an ocassional overnight camping trip. I don't plan on putting a whole lot into it at this point, I'm still getting used to it, but I would consider some simpler low-buck mods cuz I have no idea. I've only had bikes. My opinion so far on this machine is that it is a good versatile ride, not a top performer but not really a dog either.

Are there any problems or issues to watch for with this model? Any other suggestions/comments Much Appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a Ton for reading the longwinded post from a new guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

Old 03-31-2005, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forums. Congrats on the wolvy. I also own a wolverine. For mods for your wolverine, look at my signature I have a ton of mods and i recently just purchased a front differential locker and a unlocker that alows 2wd. What type of mods are you into? comfortable mods? like floor boards, and mudguards so you dont get wet? or a pipe, and powerful mods. First off, get a K&N air filter. Another good mod is a torque stuffer, if you are riding offroad, new tires would be good. I am running 25" tires on my wolverine because those little 23 inch tires are horrible.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks BigBaller!!!!!

Yea Madone' It looks like you have it modded real nice!!!!!!!!

Comfort mods right now will have to take second place, Compared to what I'm coming off this is a Caddy!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Is the K&N just a drop-in or the whole airbox assembly? What's a torque stuffer? Did the intake/exhaust mods make a big difference? What source do you use for parts? The only one I have right now is RockyMTN ATV and I think they are a great supplier.

Bigger wheels, one of the first things I thought about. Do the 25's make a big difference? any clearance steering issues? I figure with the gearing, bigger wheels would work fine, plus there is next to nothing in stock sizes for it.

I like the quieter exhaust right now, was thinking about pulling the spark arrestor for a few rides but it's kinda stuck in there pretty good. Might need some heat.

Thanks Again!!!!!

Joe

Old 03-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hit e-bay for a Wolverine service manual on CD. I paid $5 shipped for mine and it is worth every penny. Covers the entire quad, from simple maintenance to complete tear-down...

Old 03-31-2005, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

I changed my airbox out in favor of a CFM aluminum unit. The stock filter set up does not allow for a clamp on style filter. I changed mine for performance and peace of mind (knowing that my filter is seated properly) The box in conjuction with a torque stuffer and a jetting change made a nice difference in power. You'll really notice it when climbing hills. I also removed the S/A.

The only negative about changing to a CFM air box is that you will not have the 4" snorkel that is on the stock box. This only matter if you are going through water up to the seat.

A torque stuffer is a aluminum venturi device that goes inside the stock head pipe. It is a dyno proven gain, though just a small one. Maybe 5%.

Jason

Old 03-31-2005, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

I got a reall nice set of c-series 5 type rims that make my quad look like a whole different bike. Ill post pics sooner or later because i just got the tires and i didint ride it yet wit the tires on but i herd it makes it so much easier to ride on rough terian and get through alot of stuff. A torque stuffer is a great thing. a little peice about 30 bucks and it goes between the cylinder n headrr pipe. Gives it extra torque.

Old 04-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks Tons for the Tips BigBaller, Wolvydude, and Madwolverine. Very Much Appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

For starters I'm going to get one a them there 5 dollar shop manuals. (aka mr bigbucks)

After promising myself I would ride after work today, I was instead hijacked into one of our famous mountainbike 'SURVIVAL RIDES' by my son and his buds. The Wolverine seems more popular than I thought. On the ride we were passed by a guy on a CR125 and his girl on a Wolverine. Naturally I had to stop them and ask her how she liked it. She liked it. Most people that own them appear pretty satisfied.

It would be great to go with some different rims and tires but I'm vying for yet more toys at the moment, so I'm gonna hold off.

Maybe I'll try unwedging the spark arrestor one more time. It would be nice to BOMB around for a day, but then again I probably shouldn't cuz I'll end up liking it and just ****-off everyone around here. Not a good thing in the grand scheme.

Really I'm a little surprised at the DB level stock. It's not super loud, but you can still hear it well even when I'm trying to keep it low.

Thanks Again Guys,

Joe

Old 04-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

The only complaint I ever hear about wolvies is lack of mud protection. Shouldn't be a huge problem so enjoy your new bike and welcome to atv connection. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2005, 04:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Welcome to the forum. Do a search here for "wolverine" and you will come up with tons of information and mods.

Old 04-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

If the noise you hear is a ticking noise, that's normal for Wolverines and Warriors. Its just a steady ticking.
Yeah! The mud protection sucks on the Wolverine. I use to hunt on a farm in West Virginia. I use to ride my Wolverine across some cow pastures to get to my stand. Needless to say, I couldn't dodge ALL the cowpies and ended up with the stuff splattered all over me and my gear. At least I didn't need any cover scent.
I did put several sets of front wheel bearings in mine. If you do alot of mud riding, they wear out quick. Also, the rear brake pads wear out quickly when you ride in alot of mud.
Overall the Wolverine is a Great quad. Good luck and have fun!

Quick Reply: New(er) Wolverine