Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Torn CV boot, any quick fixes???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn CV boot, any quick fixes???

Thanks SIX.

Good to hear about a fix that would hopefully work for a ride or 2. It sounds like a pretty good idea especially if the tear isn't too long. Better than missing a great ride and way better than riding without a seal on the joint. Just the type of idea I was hoping someone would post!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

Old 04-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys. That is cool. I will have to think about the RTV. I can't ride it for a couple days. This is the first time I will be taking a wrench to the grizz since I have had it except for changing the oil. I have the CD shop manual so that should help. I tried to get the castle nut off with a cresent that has the size measurements and it said it was one notch past an inch. I guess I will be buying a large socket set this week. AW dang, more tools. 8)

Old 04-06-2005, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Six2notScaredofU
If you Have Time to let it set and Dry I'll tell you how to Fix it. Just Clean the Area around the Tear with BrakeCleaner. Then apply some Blue RTV silicone on it kinda Thick Let it set Without Moving it for at least a day. it will Hold for awhile i know it will cause it lasted for a month or so on my Friends Car. But you Should Replace it ASAP.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
What about stapling the boot and then RTVing it? That should help it to hold.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

I will be working on the quad this weekend, I will try to verify the castle nut size and post back. I looked on the service cd and that is the only size I could find.

Old 04-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Range Rover

The best way to fix the outer cv boot is from the inner end. That joint comes off a lot easier than the outer and the whole job only take 30 minutes or so. PM me and I'll give you the details, I hope to be putting them on my web site soon.
Danny
thecvman

Old 04-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

I went to my dealership and they said it was a 22 mm, I disagreed so they showed it to me. This one looks like a castle, The one on my Grizz looks like a huge nut that is crimped on one side into the shaft. This nut is just under the black yami cover right after you take the wheel off. I will have it off this week, as I can't ride it anyway with it like this.

Old 04-12-2005, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

So far I know I need, the boot, grease, boot bands, a torque wrench, solvent for soaking, ring pliers, and a jack. Can anyone think of anything I am missing?

Old 04-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Range Rover

The only other thing you'll need is a tensioner tool for the bands or clamps. Check them out picture: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35625
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35625

Old 04-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

For solvent I like to use either diesel fuel or kerosene. Let the joint dry by air, or a hair dryer can be used to shorten the drying time. Make sure to pack the Lithium-soap base grease into the CV Joint until it is fully packed. Squeeze the remainder of the grease into the boot then reassemble. As for tools you may need other standard items, dykes, pliers, wrenches, others. The band tension tool needed will depend on the type of band that is supplied with the boot. I, myself, am partial to Oetiker brand ring clamps. They are among the best available but are expensive and hard to obtain if they are not supplied with the boot.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

I finally pulled out the trusty micrometer and measured the rear axle nut. It is a 27 mm, or just slightly larger than 1 1/8 inches. I do not believe a SAE socket will work. It will either be too small or too large. Also If I read the manual correctly, the torque setting is 200 Nm / 20.0 M kg / or 145 Ft Lbs.

Quick Reply: Torn CV boot, any quick fixes???