Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Torn CV boot, any quick fixes???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dangitfriggincrap!!!

I got a torn CV boot on the right rear outboard of the Grizz and the first day that is going to be nice enough to trail ride is coming up next week. Can't change it out until payday. Is $125.00 too much for the dealer to charge for changing it? I just found it the other day and there is grease coming out of it. The grease doesn't even look dirty. Is there any really quick cheap fixes so I can get at least one day of riding out of it without destroying the CV joint? No mudding or anything, just regular sorta dusty trail riding. I was thinking of saranwrapping it. Redneck I know, but what if it works????

Old 04-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default Dangitfriggincrap!!!

They make'm for cars but I don't know about quads. The boot is split. You slip it over the joint then superglue a grooved seam that runs the entire lenth of the boot left to right. Definetely a temp fix. You could always ask around and maybe get lucky, but if you have to find one then order it time will be up anyway. Hopefully someone here has found a way and can share it. I'd like some ideas myself.

GoodLuck,

Joe

Old 04-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Torn CV boot, any quick fixes???

bumpity

Old 04-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

A Service Manual or CD with the purchase of a $30 boot is all that you will need. If you have some basic tools, torque wrench and some common sense the job is easy to do yourself.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

If you try to use a temporary patch you will end up with a damaged CV joint instead of a bad boot. If you do install the boot, make sure to disassemble the joint completely. Clean it with diesel, kerosene, gasoline, other solvent. Dry it well and then assemble and repack. If you take the quick way out without cleaning the grease the likely contaminated grease will destroy the joint over time.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

That is pretty much what I thought. I am a cheapa$$ when it comes to stuff. I know I shouldn't skimp on the grizz. I will be buying the required boot this week. Do you know what size the big jesus nut is that holds the hub to the spline. I think it's 1 1/8. That nut is crimped on.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

I am sure that it a metric size, I am not sure if 1 1/8 will fit. Yamaha calls it a castle nut and its troque value is 145 pounds. Let me look further into the manual to see if the metric size can be found.

Trending Topics

Old 04-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

The thread size is a M16, but this is the thread size and not the Castle nut size. Let me measure the actual nut with both metric and standard measurements and I will try to post back tomorrow.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Looks like a 22mm or .86614 inches. That is just under 7/8 of an inch.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

If you Have Time to let it set and Dry I'll tell you how to Fix it. Just Clean the Area around the Tear with BrakeCleaner. Then apply some Blue RTV silicone on it kinda Thick Let it set Without Moving it for at least a day. it will Hold for awhile i know it will cause it lasted for a month or so on my Friends Car. But you Should Replace it ASAP.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Torn CV boot, any quick fixes???