Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor vs. 400ex shootout

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2000, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they should have a test of raptor vs. bayou 220.Just joking......

Old 10-07-2000, 12:54 PM
Air
Pro Rider

I live for playin on sand and I have beaten a stage 1 Dune Slug 650 up sand mountain outrun 1 topend on the salt flats.I have beat stock Banshees at both. I got cocky and challenged a Raptor and promptly got beat by a STOCK Raptor by about 5 lengths. I left on im and had him for 150 ft the that awsome power came through.I'm a diehard Honda rider and I WANT ONE!!!!!The potential is there to be the best at everything. We raced up sand mountain.

99 426ex , Web Cam, FCR carb w/ twist, CT revlimiter, DMC exhaust, XCT's ,K&N, One kit, Renthal bars, DG nerfs, Armidillo Swingarm plate, 8 paddle Haulers, Laeger subframe, PRM bumper and grab bar.Soon to be a 465 just to try and keep up

http://www.trxoutlawz.com/

Old 10-07-2000, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

so..... the raptor is a thousand dollars more than the 400EX huh? maybe yah better go check the showroom floors to see what honda did to there 400ex's price tag. I paid 6300 for my raptor and sitting beside it was a yellow 2001 400 ex and the price tag on that one also was 6300.

01' Raptor

Old 10-08-2000, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

You know what caught my eye in the whole article? It wasn't the fact that the Raptor won in everything it was the fact that the 400EX broke. Honda is always bragging that their motors are the most reliable. And also the clutch went out. And they did the same thing with the Raptor and nothing happened. HMMM makes you wonder about why when the Raptor first came out everyone started saying that things were starting to break. If the people at the magazine can put that Raptor through the same torture that they put the EX through and nothing broke then why were all these people saying things were breaking on the Raptor. At least it made through the test in the magazine.

Old 10-08-2000, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

Air,
I got it! "Dune Slug 650" as in DS 650 LOL!!
I think they should paint a checkered stripe around the quad and call it the Bombardier Taxi!! It weighs like one! HAHAHA

Old 10-08-2000, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

Ok "guys" why are you cutting on the ds? Is that the "cool" thing to do or what. I find it hard to belive that most people in these forums say the ds beats the raptor by alittle bit in a drag race, then you come along and say that the raptor killed yours, but yours just abliterated a ds..hard to belive?

Old 10-08-2000, 03:26 AM
Trailblazer

Air,

You riding at Sand Mountain in NV? Just was there today and watched Stock DS's walk all over the four "too cool for thier britches" guys with Raptors. Even the 400EX's were keeping up going up the steepest faces. From my own personal experience and from watching 100 lb kids riding raptors today the Raptor simply does not have the grunt to spin sand when the sand gets steep and deep. I do love my raptor but it ain't "all that" and I would probably love it even more if I could ride the sumbuck...Maybe next week the engine will be replaced ; )

Old 10-08-2000, 10:23 AM
Range Rover

I think YOU better check a different showroom buddy!!! I have never heard ANYONE paying 6300.00 for a 400ex. Maybe out the door with taxes and everything else. If your dealer is charging 6300. before taxes. Tell him to keep on smoking that crack pipe, because that guy is out there!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2000, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Apparantly Grandpa's Raptor has already needed a new engine. There have been a few bent axles and at least two broken control arms. Just because one machine experiences problems, doesn't mean the who production run is junk. When Dirt wheels tested the Banshee, 250R(stock), DS650, and 400EX, the 250R was the overall winner and beat everything else around the "track" they set up. The other three machines were in a tie, due to each machines unique shortcomings. Banshee was traction limited and had bad tires, DS had a little handling problem on one area of the track and was traction limited, and the EX just didn't have enough power.
Next issue they did the track test on the modded 250R, DS, and the highly unsuccessful xr600 project machine. The DS lost by .5 second. Logically thinking the 400EX would do the same, BUT in the real world, we know this will not happen. That would mean that a Raptor would beat a full race 250R by one second per lap and that just ain't gonna happen ladies. Ride what you got and just be thankful that you have something to ride. If you are not happy because of how your machine stacks up to others, you are not riding for the right reasons. I still think the Raptor has some issues(air filter, swingarm, chain adjustment) but that is just me, and that is why I don't have one. Have a nice day.

Old 10-08-2000, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

We all have our heads up our asses about which quad is the fastest, Gore is going to get elected, the tree hugers are organizing, more areas are being closed, and we are worried about which quad to get, or Honda vs Yamaha. Foolish!!

Quick Reply: Raptor vs. 400ex shootout