Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior occasional bog, but poor throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior occasional bog, but poor throttle response

Hey all, I just picked up a 2001 Warrior, absolutely amazing condition by the looks of it, I am positive the bike was not maintatined in regards to tune ups, etc. I say this because when I asked the guy (who had owned since new) about the air cleaner he asked me where it was , LOL.

However I am having some occasional bog issues, usually from 50% throttle to 100 percent, in gears 3,4,5. THis is not 100 percent of the time either, it comes and goes.

In any gear the throttle response seems to have a delay, meaning if I give it a quick snap in first in seems to delay for a sec before it registers and sometime if I give it a slight snap the bike stalls.

This weekend I am planning on changing the plug and cleaning the carb (a buddy whom has done this many times if showing me how)

My 3 questions are these:

1) Are these issues common to Warriors , and should I not worry so much, Im almost heartbroken because I just got this quad?

2) I have heard that the parking break can cause these issues as well, with water or muck getting up in there. How hard is it it dissable this break feature as I never use it anyway?

3) Is there anything else you guys can recommend I try here?

Your help is greatky appreciated!!

Old 04-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply, I apologise but I did leave out one important piece of info maybe, the night I got it, b4 I even went out for a ride I took the spark arrestor out of it. B4 I touch anything, maybe I should put that back in and take it for a ride.

Old 04-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Ya start with cleaning the carb it probally sat alot. Clean the air filter good or replace it depending how bad it is, If those 2 things dont fix it Ive heard about the brake as well could be it.

Clean carb
Fresh Gas
Clean filter
New plug
change oil and filter
clean spark arrestor

Do those and see how it responds

Old 04-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

if u toke the spark arrestor out you need to re-jet i no it seems lik a small thing but u do so after u re install that it should b fine but if it dosent do as said above i suggest k&n w/ outerwear

Old 04-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

My warrior does tthat, and i changed the gas(87 oct.) and it ran alot better so if you run 92 oct. or whatever premium is, it should run fine.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Range Rover

K well, I have since changed the plug, put the spark arrestor back in, but the highest octane gas in it, and did a carb cleansing, still no improvement. I am at my whits end, I am almost ready to say I regret ever getting this warrior, I have had it a week now. Dont get me wrong the bike is in amazing shape, never ever been abused that I can see, even the local dealer commented on how amazing it was shape wise. However none of this makes up for the **** poor throttle response and bogging isssue.

My SUZUKI LTZ 250 at this point seems like a way better bike to me. I could wheelie that baby for ever in forst and second, the warrior I get very little response when I snap it

I have no other option than to take it to the stealership and have them to a complete tune up.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

Let me start by saying that when you say it happends in gears 3,4,5..that it doesnt make any sence..none.

If your jetting is off it will sputter in any gear..not just certain ones..start by putting a bigger main in and a biger pilot..nothing to big..start with a 150 main...a 44-45 pilot...then start with the needle jet by moving it down one clip..its a PITA but it can be done..also play around with the idle screw..its the screw you can turn in or out by hand on the left hand side of the carb.

Also make sure your spark plug is seated tightley.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

get it jetted.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Range Rover

Im sorry, that day I took it out it seemed to do it only in 3,4,5, it has been doing it in all gears since I got the bike. The key word here is that it is occasionally, not always. Today I did a 1 mile pass down a durt road, ran it through all gears just flying with no bogging whatsoever. I slowed down turned around to come back and bam every gear bogged, two minutes later it was fine again.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

My 97 does that I found a rock in my float bowl that was being sucked into the main jet when I would get on the throttle it would only do it some times cause the rock wouldn't always be in a position to get into the jet. Try taking the float bowl off and clean it out and check the main Jet for rocks stuck in it..

Quick Reply: Warrior occasional bog, but poor throttle response