Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Twist or thumb for MX????? Which do you rather?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist or thumb for MX????? Which do you rather?

Originally posted by: TooFast2Pass
The more you ride MX with a thumb throttle the stronger your thumb will get. As with anything, to thumb it or twist it is personal preference. I have found that twist is the way to go when riding for long periods of time in the sand, but thumb is ideal for just about everything else; be it woods, track, or just play riding. With the thumb throttle you have more overall control of the power because it is independant of your grip. This allows you to let go of the thumb lever to regain control if need be. Also, your body english won't affect your thumb movement as mush as it would a twist. If you don't believe me try rippin through a whoop section with a twist and then a thumb. The twist throttle will react to your movements creating a blip, blip, or on-off throttle chop. We all know that when in whoops you don't want to let that front end dive and from my experience I have found that a thumb throttle won't do that to the extent of the twist. Cornering is also affected by twist. Again it's affected by your body english. As I said, it's all personal preference and it has a lot to do with your riding style, where you ride, and how aggressive you are.
that right there pretty much sums it up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
personal preference
the only time my thumb got sore from riding is my trip to Little Sahara when it was around 30 degrees the whole day and we were riding for about 4 and a half hours. i can understand how that would happen in mx but you can build up your thumb muscles and endurance. all i know is that on my way back to the truck i was using my hand to push the thumb throttle. i prefer a thumb and probably always will
later