Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Twist or thumb for MX????? Which do you rather?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist or thumb for MX????? Which do you rather?

All replies welcome.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

i would say thumb, but thats whats most comfortable for me, you would just have to see what is best for you, i dunno, there are advantages and disadvantages to a twist throttle, whatever suits you better.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I personally would take a thumb throttle under any circumstance..of course thats what I cut my teeth on, never had much time on a twist..

Old 04-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Range Rover

i like the twist throttle but thats because i ride dirt bikes probably and am just used to it

Old 04-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like thumb on quads, and twist on bikes. But for racing MX on a quad I would make a exception due to arm pump and losing feeling in your fingers.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

loss of feeling in my hands is what I mostly complain about. The twist has to be more comfortable.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

i prefer thumb. tradition for quads. i dont get arm pump really. the thing about twist is that if you start to slide off the back the throttle get held wid open. did that on an old old little 90 scooter. with thumb you can hang on pretty much as hard as you want and not have to worry about moving the throttle. i know some people may think differently but this is just what i think. from your last post it sounds like you already have your mind made up about the twist?

Old 04-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing about a thumb is when you are competeing in competitive racing you thumb will go numb after all teh rhythm jumps and whoops and what not. You don't want to be out leading and then lose a race do to the fact you can't control your machine properly.

And keep in mind I prefer a thumb throttle on quads in all other occasions.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

Ive heard that for mx you should use a twist, because your thumb gets sore using a thumb throttle.I prefer thumb,but i havent race mx.Try both of them, whatever works for you!

Old 04-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer

The more you ride MX with a thumb throttle the stronger your thumb will get. As with anything, to thumb it or twist it is personal preference. I have found that twist is the way to go when riding for long periods of time in the sand, but thumb is ideal for just about everything else; be it woods, track, or just play riding. With the thumb throttle you have more overall control of the power because it is independant of your grip. This allows you to let go of the thumb lever to regain control if need be. Also, your body english won't affect your thumb movement as mush as it would a twist. If you don't believe me try rippin through a whoop section with a twist and then a thumb. The twist throttle will react to your movements creating a blip, blip, or on-off throttle chop. We all know that when in whoops you don't want to let that front end dive and from my experience I have found that a thumb throttle won't do that to the extent of the twist. Cornering is also affected by twist. Again it's affected by your body english. As I said, it's all personal preference and it has a lot to do with your riding style, where you ride, and how aggressive you are.

Quick Reply: Twist or thumb for MX????? Which do you rather?