Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2000, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They actually told you not to worry? Mine is a 93 and it rarely overheats. Only time it bubbles a little bit of water is after about an hour of consistent drag racing at the dunes. Then it spits a few drops out. I used to work at a Yamaha shop and believe me their advice can be trusted very little sometimes.

Old 10-04-2000, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, the dealer told me not to worry; they all do it. The service shop there stays pretty backed up, so he probably didn't want to take the time to look into it. I will say I've seen several Banshees do it, but certainly not all. Mine did it after about the first five minutes of riding it when it was new. I don't even have to be running it hard. It doesn't seem to be hot, and it doesn't lose any power. I just re-routed the overflow so that it drains between the pipes instead of on the right one, and I just top off the antifreeze level before each ride. I can't imagine it coming from the dealer with a bad water pump, but I can't imagine what else it could be either. Any ideas? It seems like if it was going to hurt anything it would have done it by now. I've ridden it that way for a year and a half now.

Old 10-05-2000, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

ok most of you all are just worrying for nothing, the banshee overflows all he time when the motor is put into use(whining outthe gears and running hard) but as for the guy who has it happening after 10min, yea the impeller is gone, replace it with a prodesign one for 79.95 fro JL Enterprises out of dirtwheels...all banshees with overflow, now when u start adding more mods to increase performance, it doesn do it as much, when u run alcohol(runs soo cool) it doesnt do it at all...the coolant comes from the bottle behind your airbox unde the rear fender, check the level in there every ride. u can relocate the hose so it doesnt make nasty marks on your pipes by adding a connector to the hose and adding more hose the ame size, run in to the very bottom of your frame and the prblem is solved...hope i helped a lil bit

Old 10-05-2000, 11:49 PM
Range Rover

A Banshee that has an overheating problem and is losing fluid could be running to lean or have a bad head gasket.
When you fill the system with fluid you are actually over filling it slightly. The excess is lost out the overflow tube. You should not loose anymore fluid after that. Are you mixing your fluid at 50/50?