Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

help with banshee...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with banshee...

its a 1987 Banshee twin 350

here is the scoop on whats wrong with it... My brother, who was the one that was riding it, was riding from about 1:00 pm to 5:30 pm, the thing he was doing before it quit running was he was doing donuts, not very smart, but he was being a show-off, after that it wouldnt start, took the plugs out, was kinda fouled, so we put in brand new spark plugs, still will not start... the only way i could get it to start, was chain it to my quad, and take off about 5 or 10 mph and he would pop the clutch, and it would start, but would only start for a few seconds before it would sizzle and die again..

besides screwing up the spark plugs in doing donuts, what else could have caused this problem, because we cannot think of anything else that could have happend..

Thanks

LT249R

Old 04-10-2005, 03:32 AM
Trailblazer

id just take it to a dealer something in the motor most likley and have him check it out

Old 04-10-2005, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you need to take the carbs off and clean them....Buy a compression gauge and check your comression as well...It's a 2 stroke, and it is very simple to work on...If you have any machanical ability buy a Clymer manual and do the work yourself.... If you take your bike to a dealer, he will more than likely brake-it off in ya......

Old 04-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

I do Donuts on my shee all the time so i doubt that is what caused it. But it sounds like carb problems to me.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

I can think of two things that may have caused it, but this is in no way for sure what happened.

1) If he was doing cookies/doughnuts non-stop, the motor probably got pretty dang hot. On the original plugs did you happen to notice if there was any aluminum built up on them? Check the compression to make sure something didn't happen inside the motor.

2) If he was doing cookies/doughnuts non-stop, chances are that there was a lot of dust/dirt in the air and could possibly have gotten into the carb thereby plugging something up. It would probably be a good idea to tear apart both carbs, and give them a thorough cleaning. Blow out all of the orifices with compressed air.

Put it back together and check for:
spark
gas getting to the cylinder
Compression

If you have all three of those, it should run.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like carb or piston trouble to me,
Clean the carbs first then invest in a compression tester (or borrow one)
Doing donuts for more then 5 minutes straight is never good for a two-stroke do to heat related problems.
In my experience it is always a good idea to change AND GAP the plugs,
Even if you have the slightest question about them (since they are about a dollar a piece) always carry a spare set to.
Always clean your air filter,there is no such thing as a air filter that is too clean.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

Also check the T.O.R.S. boxes on the tops of the carbs after time (18 years) they loosen up and cause a air leak on the top of the carbs.
buy a T.O.R.S. removal kit, it is one of the best investments you can make with a older banshee.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

To check the T.O.R.S. all you need to do is unplug the system..... It's a Molex plug behind the left side of the radiator.... If you by a clymer manual it will show you the location........

Old 04-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the compression.A friend of mine had the same problem.They rebuilt it and the problem was solved.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

[i]Always clean your air filter,there is no such thing as a air filter that is too clean.
Yeah there is. K&N's filter better when dirty.

I also think a rebuild is needed.

Quick Reply: help with banshee...