Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blaster flooding with vitos jet kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blaster flooding with vitos jet kit

hey, i installed vitos 200 jet kit. It alwaus floods now and i cant get it stared. Anyone have any good ideas to get it started?
Stock jet was 200, not its 290. I changed the poilet with the one in the kit. I cant fiigure out why its flooding. SHould I change back to the stock poilet?

Old 04-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

What are your mods??

Old 04-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer

my blaster is piped, new reeds, polished, clamp on airfilter-carb.

Old 04-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

I got it running on the big(290)jet. but it doesnt idle, i have to press the gas alittle to keep it running. And when i floor it, it doesnt rev up real high. Its weird. I changed it back to stock jetting and revs up like it should, but doesnt idle. I still have vitos pilot in, maybe thats why it dont idle.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dart
I got it running on the big(290)jet. but it doesnt idle, i have to press the gas alittle to keep it running. And when i floor it, it doesnt rev up real high. Its weird. I changed it back to stock jetting and revs up like it should, but doesnt idle. I still have vitos pilot in, maybe thats why it dont idle.
I don't know anything about the Vito's stuff.
My recommendation would be to bump the stock pilot up 1 size, drop the clip on the STOCK needle one clip position, and either stick with the same main you've got, or go up one size.

You will need to do a couple of plug checks to see where you are at as far as jetting goes (main jet size and needle position), once you've got it to running somewhat smoothly.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

Hopefully this will help you out.
Print it out and take it with you when you go out to tune your bike/carb.

FIRST OFF MAKE SURE THE FILTER IS CLEAN AND YOU HAVE FRESH (PROPERLY GAPPED) PLUGS ON HAND!!! Do NOT assume they are already properly gapped!

Find a wide open area where you can go full throttle for at least 10-15 seconds.

PILOT CIRCUIT:
You turn the air screw out till you get a crisp throttle response from off-idle.

If you have a hang-idle, you are too lean and need to either turn the air screw back in, or go to a larger pilot jet.

If you open up the air screw, and it still does not improve the throttle response, try going to a smaller pilot.

Adjust the pilot circuit first using the air screw and pilot jet as described above. You want a crisp throttle response with no bogging.
You can drop the pilot jet size till you get a "hang idle" (this is where the motor does not come down from a high RPM very quickly). It means you are LEAN.

You can adjust from there by either turning IN the air screw till the idle settles down, or if you have to turn in the air screw too far (less than one turn out) then move up to the next size pilot jet. You want a crisp throttle response without the hang idle.

You can do the above while in neutral, and letting the bike idle.

Next you want to take the quad out and get it up to operating temp.

When warm, shut off the quad, pull the plugs and install FRESH WHITE PROPERLY GAPPED ONES.

NEEDLE/CLIP POSITION:
Now, we are going to check the midrange also known as needle position.
Take the quad out and hold it at half throttle for at LEAST 10-15 seconds.

While still at 1/2 throttle, pull in the clutch and kill the motor at the same time. Leave your thumb on the throttle holding the same position till you roll to a stop.

Pull the plugs and look at the color of the INSULATOR (the formerly white ceramic portion).
Look down into the insulator between the ceramic core and metal outer body.

You want to see a light tan to paper bag brown color on the insulator.

If the insulator is LIGHTER than this, you are too lean.
Go DOWN one position on the CLIP. This will effectively RICHEN the mixture of the midrange.

If the insulator is DARKER than this, you are too rich.
Go UP a position on the CLIP. This will effectively DROP the needle and LEAN out the midrange.

MAIN JET:
Once you have the midrange set, you will go for the FULL THROTTLE run. This will determine the MAIN JET size.
Once again, following the procedure as above, get the motor warm and do a FULL THROTTLE run.

Hold the throttle WIDE OPEN for 10-15 seconds.

Pull in the clutch and kill the motor at the SAME TIME. Keep the throttle pinned till you roll to a stop.

Pull the plugs and look at their color.

Use the same colors to guide you for main jet selection.

Dark brown to black = too rich. Go down a size on the main and continue to do the checks like this till it is the correct color (light tan, or paper bag brown).

White to very light tan = too lean. Go up a main jet size and do another plug check. Continue to go up in main jet sizes till you get the proper plug insulator color.

Now you are jetted correctly.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

yea, it might be the pilot. The orignonal size was i think 32.5, and vitos was like 30. Would this make a differance on idle?

Old 04-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dart
yea, it might be the pilot. The orignonal size was i think 32.5, and vitos was like 30. Would this make a differance on idle?
Not saying for sure that is the problem, but yes, the pilot can make a HUGE difference on how a quad idles. So does the air screw. Both need to be adjusted properly. See my post above.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

You also need to check the floats if it still is flooding. Set them to the proper level. If they are not set up properly, or if you get junk in the float needle, gas will still flow into the carb even when the float bowl is full.

I suggest taking the entire carb apart, cleaning it, checking the float height, and making the above mentioned jetting changes. Then take it out and do some plug checks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

OK, i got it running!!!woohoo
I put everything back to stock and changed it so i would idle perfect, now i change the jet size to 290 and it works idles awsome,u dont have to push the gas or anything. But, it seems like it runs out of power from mid-high rpm. I put it up on stands and ran it through 6th gear, and it has no power, no high rpm. Why is that? I have the clip on the needle on all the way on rich, is that why its getting no power?

Quick Reply: blaster flooding with vitos jet kit