Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why are the 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee) bad for trails? Why aren low rpms bad for 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are the 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee) bad for trails? Why aren low rpms bad for 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee)?

my blaster is also good on the trails...

Old 04-13-2005, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why are the 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee) bad for trails? Why aren low rpms bad for 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee)?

Originally posted by: GOHARD
I have a ? Its not good to hold 2 strokes wide open for very long right?
Plese correct me if im wrong.
What are the things u can do and shouldnt do to a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke?
Thanks
thats the reason i dont like 2 strokes...the power band is in the top end, and u cant be holding the throttle there for very long, thats why 2 stroke owners (No offense!) have to do top end rebuilts quite a bit, 4 strokes on the other hand u can rev the living snot out of and nothing bad will happen...btw i dont recommend WOT on any engine for more than 5-10 seconds

Old 04-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scooter86
Two strokes that are set up for a big hit in the powerband tend to tire the rider faster. There are motors out there set up for a smoother power delivery that are great on the trails. One example is the 85/6 LT250R. They have decent power across the RPM range right from the factory(i.e., no big hit anywhere) You can set up a Banshee for more low end also, but it takes money to smooth out that hit some. If your engine is jetted correctly, then lower RPM shouldn't be a big problem for a two stroke. Of course, you will still foul plugs quicker than a four stroke, but I wouldn't say low rpms are 'bad' for the engine.
Like this guy said, they are weak on bottom end because they are setup to be like that. The pipe gives them power in a certain range, so do the ports. If you were building up a two stroke engine you could set it up to run at low rpms and it would have a ton of bottom end torque but thats not usually what people want. Think of it this way, a two stroke has the power of a fourstoke double its size BUT only at the rpms its designed for. At other times it acts like an engine its size should or worse due to porting compromises to make that narrow range even stronger.

Old 04-13-2005, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ZimRaptor
Originally posted by: GOHARD
I have a ? Its not good to hold 2 strokes wide open for very long right?
Plese correct me if im wrong.
What are the things u can do and shouldnt do to a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke?
Thanks
thats the reason i dont like 2 strokes...the power band is in the top end, and u cant be holding the throttle there for very long, thats why 2 stroke owners (No offense!) have to do top end rebuilts quite a bit, 4 strokes on the other hand u can rev the living snot out of and nothing bad will happen...btw i dont recommend WOT on any engine for more than 5-10 seconds

"btw i dont recommend WOT on any engine for more than 5-10 seconds"
Could someone please explain the above statment , what he means exactly.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

Old 04-13-2005, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ehlitdew
Because you can blow the engine ie. piston cracks, siezing, over-heating.

...and also low RPMs for 2-strokes can also result in plug fouling.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:19 AM
Pro Rider

Please, anyone, what does WOT mean?

Old 04-13-2005, 06:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wide Open Throttle young grasshoppa.

Old 04-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Pro Rider

I don't agree with 5-10 seconds WOT.

I would say 1 minute.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: ehlitdew
I don't agree with 5-10 seconds WOT.

I would say 1 minute.
LOL i would say BLOWN ENGINE!

Quick Reply: Why are the 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee) bad for trails? Why aren low rpms bad for 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee)?