Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yz125 or raptor? need guidence

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yz125 or raptor? need guidence

There is no way you can talk him into a Banshee? Why does he not want you to have 2-smoke quads?

If you do get a dirtbike be carefull. I don't care how good you do on a TTR 125, and 125 MXer is NOTHING like a TTR. And if your not riding on a track, I would get a 250 for the simple fact you can lug them more than a 125.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bl4cksh337,
I'll try to go into more detail today, because I have some experience with each of the machines you mention. It sounds like you have a TT-R 125L now, and you are not happy with the "four stroke power", so you would like to try either a YZ 125, YZ 250, or Raptor 660.

I have owned a Raptor in the past (2003), and right now I own a YZ 250, and have bought a YZ 125 for my 14 year old son, and a TT-R 125L for my wife. The problem with the TT-R 125L isn't so much that it is a four stroke, but rather that it is an entry level 125cc four stroke, and it is a gutless wonder that essentially has no powerband at all, because it never makes any power, no matter how many RPM you wind it out to. It is a good little putt putt bike, and it makes for a good pit bike for us when we go to the races, but I sure wouldn't want to have it as my only off road machine. If you are assuming that all four strokes have the same lack of responsiveness that the TT-R 125 has, then that is an incorrect assumption. But by trying to go to either a YZ 125 or a Raptor 660 you are going to opposite extremes of the powerband spectrum. A Raptor with a pipe and jetting has a grunting snorting Brahma bull type of powerband. It is a torque monster that is a whole lot of fun to goof around on, and I think you would have a lot of fun on one. A YZ 125 has an Indy car type of powerband that is dead at low RPM, but then absolutely screams all the way to 13,000 RPM once it comes on the pipe. A stock YZ 125 is scary fast if you keep it on the pipe, and will blow away a Raptor 660 in a drag race (assuming both machines have equal traction). I am surprised each time I ride my son's YZ 125, that it is "just a 125", because it feels about the same as my YZ 250 in overall power, its just that the YZ 250 has a ton more low end and mid-range power than the YZ 125. I actually like the 13,000 RPM screaming top end power of the 125 better than the top end power of the 250. It is alot of fun to be able to rev it until you think the piston is going to melt.

Does this mean that the YZ 125 would be a better choice for you than the Raptor 660? No. Both are a lot of fun, but for different reasons. I like the screaming power and ultra light weight of the YZ 125, and I also like the massive grunt of the Raptor 660. But keep in mind that a stock Raptor is slow compared to a stock YZ 125. A lot can be said for torque though, and this summer when the 2006 models come out I plan to upgrade my YZ 250 to a KTM 525 MXC. Torque is good.

DV

Old 04-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: zorro700
Originally posted by: ZimRaptor
Originally posted by: bl4cksh337
I have put a lot of thought into this should I get a yz250. My family will still have quads so i will still ride them but this will be my vehicle not my moms or brothers. Im going to be going to yuma and i will be riding the dunes a TON. I want to have a lot of speed but at a low cost. If i dont get this dirtbike i will be getting a raptor. I currently have a blaster and when i rode the raptor i didnt like the feel of the four stroke raptor. And my dad said that i couldnt get another 2-stroke quad. If i get a yz250 i will put parts on it and will be climbing a ton. Now i can ride them pretty good but havnt been to glamis only buttercup and the dirtbikes seem to do fine. Will they be fine on hills like choke cherry.

Another possibility is that i might get a yz125 to start out with. i am 6ft tall and 130 and rapidly gaining. The dirtbike will not be stock and my main question is will it be fine as far as climbing and im not talking abouy at 2mph.

This is extremely important and i would love to have some good and bad points, please include personal experience and no biased opinion

I HAD to make another topic because i feel that everyone thought that i was asking for tech advise

what im asking is which should i get and remember my main riding will be dune and i climb a lot

just for your information the yz125 has 34hp and 13000rpms stock this is from a dyno that i saw. and this will not be a stocker
bikes handle like **** in dunes...but can climb like its no ones business...quads handle good in dunes but need modifications to climb, mainly tires

Bikes handle twice as good in the sand (if you can ride). I would definately get a bike, WAY more fun in the sand.
LMAO keep telling yourself that....ive seen a couple hondas fall over plenty of times in the dunes, and they are good riders...like it or not 2 wheels are better than 1

Old 04-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DesertViper
bl4cksh337,
I'll try to go into more detail today, because I have some experience with each of the machines you mention. It sounds like you have a TT-R 125L now, and you are not happy with the "four stroke power", so you would like to try either a YZ 125, YZ 250, or Raptor 660.

I have owned a Raptor in the past (2003), and right now I own a YZ 250, and have bought a YZ 125 for my 14 year old son, and a TT-R 125L for my wife. The problem with the TT-R 125L isn't so much that it is a four stroke, but rather that it is an entry level 125cc four stroke, and it is a gutless wonder that essentially has no powerband at all, because it never makes any power, no matter how many RPM you wind it out to. It is a good little putt putt bike, and it makes for a good pit bike for us when we go to the races, but I sure wouldn't want to have it as my only off road machine. If you are assuming that all four strokes have the same lack of responsiveness that the TT-R 125 has, then that is an incorrect assumption. But by trying to go to either a YZ 125 or a Raptor 660 you are going to opposite extremes of the powerband spectrum. A Raptor with a pipe and jetting has a grunting snorting Brahma bull type of powerband. It is a torque monster that is a whole lot of fun to goof around on, and I think you would have a lot of fun on one. A YZ 125 has an Indy car type of powerband that is dead at low RPM, but then absolutely screams all the way to 13,000 RPM once it comes on the pipe. A stock YZ 125 is scary fast if you keep it on the pipe, and will blow away a Raptor 660 in a drag race (assuming both machines have equal traction). I am surprised each time I ride my son's YZ 125, that it is "just a 125", because it feels about the same as my YZ 250 in overall power, its just that the YZ 250 has a ton more low end and mid-range power than the YZ 125. I actually like the 13,000 RPM screaming top end power of the 125 better than the top end power of the 250. It is alot of fun to be able to rev it until you think the piston is going to melt.

Does this mean that the YZ 125 would be a better choice for you than the Raptor 660? No. Both are a lot of fun, but for different reasons. I like the screaming power and ultra light weight of the YZ 125, and I also like the massive grunt of the Raptor 660. But keep in mind that a stock Raptor is slow compared to a stock YZ 125. A lot can be said for torque though, and this summer when the 2006 models come out I plan to upgrade my YZ 250 to a KTM 525 MXC. Torque is good.

DV
I understand that you have made the assumption that i ride a ttr but actually i dont and its ok your advice is still very good thank you. I actually ride a blaster thats not stock. My brother has the ttr and i rode it because he didnt want to. Now i havent made the assumption that all 4strokes are like that. I saw a 250 or 450 4 stroke that was hauling but see i like the quik revying motor of the 2stroke i also like the feel and winding sound. And about lauphing about handling of dirtbikes you are dead wrong zimraptor or at least they werent good riders. I'm telling you i can ride a dirtbike very well. I was blessed with the unique ability to ride every motored vehicle to it's full extent mostly within 2 weeks.(most of the time). Not trying to brag at all but i have just picked up the sport really fast and well and for me to get used to a dirtbike even from switching two a 2stoke i have a good feeling that ill pick up and love it. I mean i liked the ttr and im pretty sure ill like the yz but im just making myself 100% sure because if i dont like this machine i will be stuck with it for years probly until i move out.

So Will it be fine on choke cherry and hills like that. Im moving to yuma so my playground will be at glamis and i dont wanna not be able to climb. If i cant climb i wont get the yz.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

I'm telling you i can ride a dirtbike very well. I was blessed with the unique ability to ride every motored vehicle to it's full extent mostly within 2 weeks.(most of the time).
Well its not entirely unique, ... I hear that Ricky Carmichael is having one of those kind of years as well [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

Seriously though, if you want the YZ 125 then go ahead and get it, but just one more observation from the old guy here before you do. I have done lots and lots of desert racing; 20 years worth, and almost all of the clubs that put on these races will try to challenge the riders, just to make the races more fun. It is very common to have a few really tough hillclimbs on a race course, and invariably there are several 125cc bikes struggling to climb the hill when I go by. It is ALWAYS the 125s that are struggling to make the hill, and never a 250cc bike or an open class bike. Being as you want to buy this bike for doing lots of hillclimbing I thought that might be something to consider. The 125s are tougher to climb on, they make lots of power at 13,000 RPM, but if you fall off the pipe on a 125, you're done, and they can be very difficult to get going again, even with downshiftig and fanning the clutch.

A YZ 250 may just be a better choice if you are purchasing a bike that you will have for several years.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for all of your guesses input i have decided to switch over to a dirtbike. I will still be keeping my quad and now my only decision is get a 250 which im leaning towards and make it mildly modded or get a 125 and mod it to the extreme.

Old 05-05-2005, 02:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, i have a yz 125, but i strictly race moto with it. However i can with huge confidence tell you that a 125 does not have the grunt you will want to climb some huge dunes. Sure my 125 rips to hell, but the 250 is the bike to get if your just gonna be dune shooting!