Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Single Carb

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2000, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a single carb (Trinity stage 4) with stage 4 pipes/silencers, the bike now has great low-end power and tuning is a breeze, plus less effort to push the throttle! But I really couldnt tell you if the carb set-up gave it the low-end power or if it was the other mods (everything was done all at once), the motor has a stage 4 head,MX porting, light-weight pistons, 420 cc's, etc,,etc..so I'm not really sure if it was the porting and displacement increase or the carb set-up that gave it more low-end.

Old 10-03-2000, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer

is the throttle alot easier because i ride mx and my right arm gets fatigue because of the stiff throttle

Old 10-04-2000, 02:52 PM
Range Rover

The thumb throttle is much easier with only one carb.

Old 10-06-2000, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the help.I just picked up my Trinity CV kit.

One more question to all of you with this setup...What jet sizes did you end up running???mine came with a 170 installed but I don't have it in yet to try it.

The bike ran great with 230's in the stock carbs which is real low if you go by what most people claim to have in them.I know it's a different carb and all but just wondered what kind of difference everyone else ended up with
thanx
Greg

Old 10-06-2000, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer

hey greg how much did the kit cost im interested in getting one thanks

Old 10-07-2000, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

I got the kit that uses the stock airbox wich was more than the open filter kit and I ended up with the braided stainless cable cuz I wanted it by the weekend also had high shipping for the same reason wanted to ride this weekend but now it looks like it's going to snow.

Anyway I gave $365 for the whole kit which I was told was a real good price...I didn't check around this particular shop has always done right by me and he got it for me in 3 days.....

I got the whole thing together tonight.seems to have the right main jet(170) but it need a bigger pilot...cold and rainy here in ohio tonight so I only made one pass around the yard but all I have to say is WOW.There still is not a ton of bottom end but it sure picks up alot quicker than it did with 2 carbs.even in the wet grass it was hard to keep the front end down...

Greg

Old 10-07-2000, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

To everyone who has a Trinity kit:

Be sure to take a couple zip-ties and strap them around your air filter, attached to the frame of your shee'. The rubber intake boot will crack under stress due to the weight of the carb and air filter. I learned the hard way.

Bottom line is the rubber boot cannot take alot of stress. The carb, filter, etc., weighs more than the boot can handle. I found this out more than 6 miles from base, along the ocean in deep sand at 1 a.m. It sucked!

To compound this, Trinity's Customer Service (oxymoron) sucked even worse! They had zero interest in replacing the rubber boot, engine, etc. They told me it was up to me to figure out that the rubber intake boot couldn't handle the weight and that I should have zip-tied it myself. Ya, right! Hell, I don't even remember my kid's name sometimes (Im kiddin')so I am supposed to figure that out???

Anyway, good luck!

Old 10-07-2000, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer

In trinity's defense.The whole zip tie the filter to the frame thing is explained in the instructions I got with mine.The sheet is old enough that the phone # has been changed so I don't think it's a real recent thing.

Anyway I got the one that uses the stock airbox that I had already modified with the pro-flo K&N kit. The box is still bolted to the frame so I doubt I'll have any problems with the boot cracking.

They were kind enough to send me out a replacement for the plastic Idle screw in the carb though.I guess the plastic one is to short that's why it will not idle right now.

Greg

Old 10-07-2000, 08:26 PM
Range Rover

The Trinity CV comes with a Keihen carb, jet numbers are not the same as the stock Mikuni's.
I actually had my main jet fall out while riding and it ran fine. So I drilled out a main as large as I could and it runs great. The largest Keihen main is a 230 for a 34pj. What carb do you have?
Your needle jet adjustments will make the biggest difference.

Old 10-07-2000, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

The one I just got was a PWK I thought they said 35 mm but could have been 34mm. The only main they sent was a 170.It seems fine on top but it's to cold here right now to ride it much plus it will not idle till I get the metal screw from trinity. Over-all I'm impressed so far with just a few trips around the yard the power seems great.It need a little fine tuning(ie air screw/needle) but I wont do that till the temps get back up to seasonal.I don't do much riding in 30 degree temps and thats where we are right now.

Later,
Greg