Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2002 raptor 660 front sprocket help and ext.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 raptor 660 front sprocket help and ext.

I am a little unclear about going from a 13 tooth sprocket to a 12 on my pator 660. If i put a 12 on the front is it going to make it like a crawling gear and now i will ride primarly in second and third on trail instead of first and second. Will it help in climbing hills or will it hurt me. I want to be able to climb step hills without having to rev so hard and the front coming up so much. Would rather be able just to crawl up the hill if i need to. I would also like to be able to climb hills in second that are not so harry. Right no i cimb all hill in second in first gear but i have to rev high wich causees me to lift up if i hit a bumb. What would be good for me?

I also saw a lowering kit on ebay that lower the body not the suspension in the front and rear. I was wondering if it was any good or would it be a waste of my money? It also came with the rev kit for reverse and foward.

How can i tell if my clutch is worn? I a newbie but i just bought this 2002 raptor 660 and tuning her up getting ready for some serious riding. Just put to 20 50 spectra oil in and a new plug. I run 93 octane in her and was thinking of running 100 octane. Also will be changing antifreeze and anding redline water wetter. IS that good bad or a waste?

I hear they make winches for the front of the raptor 660 now. I was wondering where can i get one for a 2002. I want to have one as i ride hard and want to be able to get myself out when i ham in a bind. also i think it won't hurt me to have a few extra pounds in the front to keep it down a little.

Is their anything i can do to help keep the front down on the bike?

I was wondering what peoples opinions are on the best sounding and performing exhaust for this bike. Prefreberbly one that is not to much louder than the stock one but has a nice tone and good perfomance.

What are some good tires for trail riding? I currently have itp hole shots xct 22x11. was wondering what stock size was and what would be best for trailes, hill climbing, mud, and just plain fun.

any other suggestions for me would be real great and i appreciate all the great advice and help people have to offer.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Range Rover

The 12 tooth sprocket will be better all around for trails, youll notice top end go down, but i thinks its worth it. It will probably be better climbing hills. 20-50 oil?? i run 10w-30 in mine. Lowering the body, either a. its a suspension kit, b.lowers the plastic, c. is fake, there is no way to lower the body, and if there is, it won't do anything. Ive never seen a winch for a raptor, you can custom make a mount. Try a search on allll of these questions, you will find results...people just get tired of seeing the same questions over and over again on here...

Old 04-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer

HOW DOES THE NO BAFFLE THING SOUND. DOES IT GIVE YOU BETTER PERFORMANCE? i TRIED THE SEARCH THING BUT IT SEEMS NOT TO YEILD ME VERY GOOD ANSWERS. i WOULD LIKE SOME IN DEPTH ANSWERS IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. aNYONE WHO CAN HELP ME OUT IT WOULD BE GREAT.

Old 04-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Range Rover

Ok, ill try to help you as much as i can. With the no baffle, it is pretty loud, a lot louder then stock, its not too too loud unless your on the throttle...it adds a little bit of performance, just like adding a slip-on muffler. The body lowering thing, like i said, can't be true, it must lower the suspension which equals lower ground clearence, youd be better off getting wider a-arms and an extended axle for it, which will dramatically increase stability and handling. As for the clutch, it should be fine unless there are some heavy motor mods and/or the prvious owner abused her horribly. Run 87 octane, its perfectly fine for it, and in some cases better then 93 for a stock raptor, 100 octane is waay to high, unless there is a high compression piston in there. For the exhaust, look into HMF for some good exhaust options. holeshots are great tires also

Old 04-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer

WARN winch mounting system
It is for 2003 to 2005 Raptor.
Is the 2002 and the 2003 different?

Old 04-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JTM(ad in the back of dirtwheels)makes a swingarm extension for the raptor.I like the one I put on my banshee.I agree that 87 octane is plenty.The higher octanes will just empty your wallet faster.