Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor 660 fuel range, distance help mudding help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor 660 fuel range, distance help mudding help

I have a o2 raptor 660 stock only missing spark arrestor. I am planning to do an all day ride for about 6-8 hours. I was wondering how long will a tank last me? How many miles or hours can i go before needing to refuel. Hopefully all day. My buddys ride grizzly 660 and can go all day but they have 5.3 gallons versus my 3.2. I just don't want to run out or have to carry any extra fuel as that is a pain asking a buddy to carry fuel for me. any help would be nice.

Also thinking of adding watter wetter from redline to help me run cooler?

would i bennifit from removing my airbox lid or or should i not do it as i ride a lot of trails an try to conger as much mud as possible with my 22 in holeshot tires. Would i be better of going back to 20 or is the 22 just fine or b etter? Let me know

Has anyone taken their rappy thru some serious mud and how does it perform. Like i said my friends ride grizzly 660. Will i be able to hang with them for the most part or am i totally screwed. Also has anyone ever gone thru a pond on their rappy by just guuning it or floating it or does it not float.

Old 04-30-2005, 01:23 AM
Range Rover

I got a few mods and dont get that good of mileage, but I went 75 miles on a tank getting on it quite often.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider

You can probably go as far as the Grizzly can. They have more fuel, but carry a lot more weight and have more moving parts. Somebody should carry a gas can just in case you all need a splash.
Leave your airbox on. It doesn't do any good to take it off if you are running a stock pipe even with the spark arestor out. If you take it off, your going to need anew filter and adaptor to hold it on, you'll have to rejet your carberators and after all that, unless you buy a new pipe, you're not going to get any more power out of it.
Water Wetter or Engine ice will help you run cooler which will help with performance and milage.
Unless your racing Motocross, stay with the 22" tires.
If you're going to be in deep mud, expect the Grizzlys to be pulling you out a lot. That is unless you can keep your speed up and stay on top of the mud.
Why would you go through a pond on your quad. It won't sink, it will flip over and float tires up. If you get in water much over your engine, you're going to be done riding for a while.

I had a Raptor with all the common go faster mods. Now I have 2 Grizzlys. Let us know if you are ready to switch from sport to utility quads when you are done with this ride.