Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Who would try this???????

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who would try this???????

My friend works at a Street Bike / Atv/ Dirtbike place as a mechanic and they have an 03' 660 raptor that some kids left there b/c the work that needed to be done was too expensive well the kids tried to put in an aftermarket camshaft and piston but they put it in backwards so the engine is shot but I can buy it for like 300 bucks and then put in a new engine for like however much more lets say $1000 so... at worst an 03' Raptor for $1300 bucks however the kids have like 1 month to pay for the work or its mine and dont if it would be worth the hassel so what are yall's thoughts on this possible venture -thks

Old 05-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Don't get your hopes up because they may be kids, but if they have a 03 Raptor, then they had to pay for it somehow. I really doubt that they are going to give a 03 raptor away to the dealership. But, if it happens, jump on it.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1LeSSRaptor
. But, if it happens, jump on it.
Yep, I'd do it in a heart beat. Do atv's require a title where you are? It might take some leg work, but provided it the mechanics lean (if the original owner disputes it) is in order a title should be easy to get.

Old 05-03-2005, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

If the engine is shot... then put a streetbike engine in it!

Old 05-03-2005, 02:33 AM
Range Rover

I don't know what raptor engines cost, but I know that a new engine for the yfz 450 is over $3000.00! My buddie that works at a dealership andhas a blown engine. If yamaha doesn't cover the repairs, it's gonna cost him $3300. for just the motor, and that's at cost! I don't know what it'd be with dealer mark up! It sounds like you've got friends (or maybe you can yourself) who can put the motor in for you, but if not, than also add in the cost of labor. I don't know what it'd all add up to, but I'd figure that out and then compare it to the going rate for comperable bikes. I'm not a raptor fan, but if it's cheap enough, I'd do it. Be smart and do your homework before you jump into this thing though! It's always better to know what you're getting into before you buy! Good luck.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

Originally posted by: 04Raptor350Guy
yep.. find a wrecked streetbikefor like $500-1000 or less... and rip the engine out ( if it runs)

Old 05-03-2005, 09:07 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by: Speedy2222
yep.. find a wrecked streetbikefor like $500-1000 or less... and rip the engine out ( if it runs)
I have always thought a engine out of a R6 would be cool. What were you guys thinking of ?

Old 05-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Range Rover

Well I will think about that one!lol But for me that maybe a little overkill...And the kids that have the 03 Raptor have had it sitting in the shop for almost a year and so the storage cost, tear down cost, and other sh*t that they make-up to charge you with is appearnly to much for the Kids and when I say kids I mean like 20-23yrs old there is no way there is a clean title but if the kids dont claim it and pay for it in like 1 month my mechanic friend is buying it and giving it to me to work on so...Hell ya one more Raptor for the garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]