Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly vs. SP500

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2000, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as I type this, the Scrambler is loaded in the truck. I'm taking the hour drive down to a Polaris/Yamaha/Suzuki store. The candidates are; 2000 SP500, 2001 SP500, Magnum, and Grizz.

If I don't get the Grizz, it will only be because of the front end. I rode one yesterday, and it SMOKES. Even with my 290 lbs on it.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 10-07-2000, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,
I'm not sure about the Kawi. I've only read one write up on it, and it didn't really go into the details that I was interested in. It sounds enticing. If my wife see's a write up on it, she will probably tie me to the couch. She still hasn't completely gotten over coming home from work one day and finding a Grizzly in my truck! I also understand your need to have the BADDEST. I think its a guy thing. When I bought my Griz the only thing I wanted was BIG and BAD. And the speed that comes with it. You can always use too much alittle less, but you can't make not enough into too much. That and the exceptionally good luck I've had with Yamaha reliability.

IndyDave,
Good luck on your purchase. I think you'll be happy no matter what you buy. You clearly have put some thought and time into your decision. I wish I would have done alittle more home work prior to my purchase. Although I would probably have bought the Griz anyway. I've been real happy with it. Let us know how it goes. I'm curious to know which one you finally buy, and what steered you in that direction.

Rick

Old 10-07-2000, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer

I have many stories, my friend has a grizzly i have the sportsman 500. To make a long story short get the sportsman 500. I have been there and done the comparison. NO contest, get the sportsman.

Old 10-07-2000, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

well, I went and looked at all of them today. And have decided on the Sportsman. I'll try to explain why.

The Magnum: Ground clearance. The least of the bunch.

The Grizzly: I really can't explain why, but I have a need to be different. That is part of what attracted me to the Grizz. Nobody that I ride with has one. But that need to be different is what got me into the Scrambler. Bad choice for ME. I have spent alot of time on the Sportsman, and do not think that I could be dissapointed with the performance. Reliability will have to be proven.

I'm really in a no win situation. If I buy a Grizz, the first time I get stuck while my buddies go through, I'll be cussin' the Grizz. The first time the SP breaks down, I'll wish I bought the Grizz. I've seen the SP in action. Have not seen the Grizz do it's thing. Bottom line is, the laws of physics tell us that four wheels turning is better than three. I think that is pretty indisputable.

There may be some reliability issues. I guess I can live with that better than being unhappy with performance.

Thanks for all your help, and well wishes. I'll probably get it done this week, and let you know.

Thanks again,
Dave

Old 10-07-2000, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

I had a feeling you would get the sportsman. Its not a bad choice, I think. You have alot of good times ahead! Your right about the the traction thing. In my opinion, the only thing the Sp has on a Griz is the traction issue. But thats a big deal, even to me. However for me the power thing carried alittle more weight then the traction thing did. I haven't been whipped in the mud yet, altought I think thats an eventuality. For now I'm happy just smoking them on the road! If I think its important to smoke them in the mud, I'll lock'er up.

Happy trails,
Rick

Old 10-08-2000, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

01 Grizz,
Have you had the chance to drag race a HO Sportsman yet?If so,what was the final outcome?I have not raced a HO Sportsman yet,but I will as soon as the opportunity arises.I can beat up on a Stock 500 Sportsman pretty good.I was around 4 quads ahead of my brother[SAME SIZE AS ME] at around 45mph with my Xplorer,and I was'nt even fully broken in when we raced.

I have a newer primary spring in my clutching now,so Im sure I'd kick its *** even worse now.If I do happen to lose to the HO Sportsman,I'll make some engine mods.I cant STAND being second,
Bill

Old 10-08-2000, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,
I have not ridden with an HO. For that matter I've never even seen an HO, other then the pics in magazines. But I hear they are as fast if not faster then I am. If I ever do run against one I will be sure and let you know the out come. Even if I lose. The fun isn't in winning, the fun is in doing your best. The reward is in the winning. So far my races have been very rewarding! I was wondering if you have ever ran against a Banshee? I realize they are two different machines. But I thought with the 50cc size advantage you might do well against one, if not may even beat one. I know a Banshee could never keep up with you in the mud and hills, hell they can't even keep up with me under those conditions. But they lose me in a heart beat on the straight aways! I have never ridden a Banshee or an Xplorer, so I couldn't even take a guess which is faster.

Old 10-08-2000, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

01Grizzly,
I have never raced a Banshee nor do I ever want to.Im certain I'd be blown of this planet by one.Im 378cc,however,the Banshee is a twin 2-stroker and is lighter than me too.The Banshee is a true racer,my Xplorer is just a versatile 4x4 quad,with exceptional speed,that is,for a 4x4 quad.Two differant quads for two differant purposes.Your right though,We'd both [Grizz or Xplorer] kick it's butt in the mud/snow,
Happy Trailing,
Bill