Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Chain Lube

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain Lube

Just get Chain lube thats O chain safe. I mean come on, every time you get wet or wash the bike you should lube it right???? So who cares how long it lasts, get the cheaper stuff and use more.

MIke.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer
Default Chain Lube

ive raced dirt bikes for four years and pj1 blue lable is very good .and as for wd40 its a good cleaner .wd 40 stands for water disperment and the 40 stands for the 40th chemicle they put in it later dave

Old 05-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Range Rover
Default Chain Lube

i really like the bel ray lube
but just like everyone else i give it a wd40 squirt after washing

Old 05-17-2005, 10:55 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Chain Lube

Originally posted by: drac1
ive raced dirt bikes for four years and pj1 blue lable is very good .and as for wd40 its a good cleaner .wd 40 stands for water disperment and the 40 stands for the 40th chemicle they put in it later dave
I knew about the wd part. I thought the 40 was for the 40th try at the right mix of ingredients. It wouldnt be the first time I was wrong though.

Old 05-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chain Lube

Honda HP chain lube. I threw the chain wax lubes away after I tried this stuff. I HATE that nasty stick messy chain wax.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 05-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Chain Lube

Guys, from a chemist's standpoint, WD40 is the worst thing you can apply to a rubber o-ring. WD40, as stated above, is a water dispersement chemical. Rubber has to maintain a certain moisture saturation in order to remain pliable. Since WD40 is more hydrophilic than the rubber, it will remove the moisture from the o-ring and cause premature breakage. (Kind of like what happens to a rubber band if left out in the sun. The bottom line is, if your using an o-ring chain, spend a little money and buy the o-ring safe chain lube. It will pay off in the end. I like bel-ray because it doesn't seem to pick up as much sand but PJ1 and several others are fine as well. If you are trying to clean the old lube off while washing, saturate it with some degreaser and let it stand for a bit. It might take a little longer, but its time well invested to save your chain.

~HoundDog

Old 05-17-2005, 11:10 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default Chain Lube

Originally posted by: HoundDog06
Guys, from a chemist's standpoint, WD40 is the worst thing you can apply to a rubber o-ring. WD40, as stated above, is a water dispersement chemical. Rubber has to maintain a certain moisture saturation in order to remain pliable. Since WD40 is more hydrophilic than the rubber, it will remove the moisture from the o-ring and cause premature breakage. (Kind of like what happens to a rubber band if left out in the sun. The bottom line is, if your using an o-ring chain, spend a little money and buy the o-ring safe chain lube. It will pay off in the end. I like bel-ray because it doesn't seem to pick up as much sand but PJ1 and several others are fine as well. If you are trying to clean the old lube off while washing, saturate it with some degreaser and let it stand for a bit. It might take a little longer, but its time well invested to save your chain.

~HoundDog
Great points HD06, I used the wd40 to remove the water after washing. You wouldnt recomend doing that? Is there any other spray you would use to remove water? Do you spray chain lube on a wet chain?
Thanks, MWQ.

Old 05-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Chain Lube

Thanks for all the tips!

I bought some Maxxis chain wax that the dealer had, and it says to ride for 5 minutes before applying, maybe that is to remove any water.

Mark

Old 05-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default Chain Lube

There aren't many ways to remove the water without damaging the o-rings and no, you don't want to lube the chain while wet. I would simply let the bike set for a bit after washing to air dry. You could use pressurized air to blow the chain off if your in that much of a hurry or if its the end of the day for you, just put the bike up and lube it before the next ride. There will be enough residual lube residue to allow you to drive it into the garage or wherever you store it, just don't ride it hard until you have relubed the chain.

~HoundDog

Old 05-17-2005, 12:05 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default Chain Lube

Originally posted by: ifly61ce
Thanks for all the tips!

I bought some Maxxis chain wax that the dealer had, and it says to ride for 5 minutes before applying, maybe that is to remove any water.

Mark
Most likely it is to warm the chain up a bit to help the chain lube to penetrate the chain.

Quick Reply: Chain Lube