Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Off Topic GPS review

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Topic GPS review

My review on the Magellan explorist 600.

This is a new product by Magellan. I have always been a GPS fanatic. I have the Garmin 3+, but it's getting up in age. So I upgraded to the Magellan Explorist 600. This is the GPS to get for sure. It is much smaller then the meridian series. Full color screen and pretty user friendly once you learn the buttons. The only down side is the handle bar mount for the quad is stationary so I have to make a bracket so the GPS sits where I want it. It comes loaded with all major routs and highways, but you have to pay an extensive amount for the software if you want street level maps. I got the explorist for the built in compass that doesn't require you to move since it actually has a digital compass built in. It also has a barometer and altimeter and thermometer. I would probably save the money and get the explorist 500 because I rarely use those features. The compass is nice, but if you are moving the satellites will show you which direction you are going anyway. (If you hunt or fish or do those GPS treks for the military get the 600)
Conclusion. I liked the features the garmin had , and how customizable the screen was, but since the garmins that are waterproof and handheld do not have SD ram expansion. I would get the explorist.
The only disappointment I had was locking in the max speed of the new 2005 kodiak. I was on an abandoned paved road going down hill and locked in a top speed of 51.1 MPH. That's down hill.. On an open fire trail, the quad only locked in 25.6MPH.. Dreemometer said 40. Oh well. On a good note, my 2001 WR250F bike Moded got 86.7MPH.
Extreme.