Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how hard is it to install HMF pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard is it to install HMF pipe

how hard is it to install a hmf slide on pipe on a 2004 kodiak 450 and is there anything special I need to do
Thanks

Old 05-25-2005, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

I have not installed one, but I am assuming it is as simple as removing the bracket, and two blots holding the pipe on under the fender, take old pipe off, u may need to work it a little, clean up the original pipe where the ne one will install, and reverse the procedure.

Old 05-25-2005, 05:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

very simple

Old 05-25-2005, 09:54 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

The instalation of my HMF pipe took about 20-30 minutes if that. Pretty much what Shumway said. They send a little leaflet of instructions with it, in case you cant figure it out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Its very simple. I did find that the rear bolts that hold the stock pipe to the frame were a biatch to get out. They were tight the whole way out. Only thing I can figure is the heating and cooling made them swell a bit. After the first time of taking them out, they went back in and out much easier.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

let me ask you now loud did it make for bike. I ride in National forest and is it ok to ride the hmf utility muffler in national forest

Old 05-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: coacho
let me ask you now loud did it make for bike. I ride in National forest and is it ok to ride the hmf utility muffler in national forest
I believe the decibals are a bit to high for leaglly ridding in National Forest, and you have to have the spark arrestor. So do what I did, and buy the 20 dollar quite core/arrestor and put it in when you ride National Forest. Heck I just rode 80 some miles of trails in National Forest, was stopped once to have my stickers checked, and they never even looked at my pipe. I did not have the arrestor/quite core in, so I could have gotten a ticket I suppose. It was however in my tool box in the back of the quad. The utility series is not overwhelminly loud, but it is definetly more noticable over stock. The quite core/ arrestor make it sound closer to stock, but I like the sound better without it. That and I beleive the arrestor/quite core restrict the flow a little bit, giving less gains. Cant tell for sure. I love the HMF utility series and would reccomend it to anyone looking for a nice sound and great gains.

Old 05-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

is the quite core for th hmf utility pipe and where do you get them

Old 05-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: kodiakman5
is the quite core for th hmf utility pipe and where do you get them
Yes it is, and you can buy it direct from HMF. Just be sure to tell them you want the quite core/ arrestor. They have a great customer service and are very helpful with applications, jetting, and what to expect. Give them a call.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer

the place that I got my pipe act like they did not make them but thanks alot you have been a big help

Old 05-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the only thing that took any amount of time when I put mine on was rigging the aluminum shield (the one on the actual pipe that runs up to the back of the muffler) to fit. The bend is different on the HMF, and the stock heat shield doesn't fit. I cut part of mine off with tin snips, and then bent it a little to make it fit on the HMF. Unbolting the stock muffler and bolting on the HMF was a breeze.