Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need help with warn 424 not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with warn 424 not working

I just bought this 04 wolverine with the warn 424. It is very tempermental. When I pull the **** to disengage 4X4 most of the time it will snap back in. I have tried adjusting it with the set nuts to no avail. Any help would be awesome.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

I think what you are describing is normal.
You need to relieve the pressure on the meshed gears
for it to release from 4x4 well.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Range Rover

Hey Bradcue99, Welcome to the forum.

A couple of things come to mind that you can check.

1.) Make sure there are no sharp bends in the cable that come up from the 424 Select unit.

2.) Make sure that the unit is secured to the strap that is held in place with the U-bolt.

3.) There is a small set screw, that uses a 5/64" allen wrench, that comes in from the side of the Red push button. Loosen that set screw and remove the Red button. There should be a spring present...inside the center of the Black handle recess. The end of the Red button that fits inside of the Black handle is machined to fit inside of this spring. Make sure all this looks OK.

4.) If all looks OK, put the spring back in, put the Red button back in and push in on the Red button while tightening the set screw. Take it easy on this set screw; you are only threaded into aluminum.

5.) When the cable feels stiff or won't lock into position, the cable essentially needs to be made shorter. You can accomplish this by screwing the threaded adjustment further IN (less thread showing).

Hope this helps. Look closely for the spring talked about in step #3. I have a suspicion that this spring is missing or broken.

If all this looks OK, let us know and we'll try to help further.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the info. U-bolts were slightly loose. Took apart red button. Spring seems good. Cleaned and re assembled. No sharp bends in cable. If you pull the cable you can feel it disengage but it is not staying. I talked with warn and he said there is a ball & detent that may need to be cleaned. Is this in the **** portion or in the actual unit. Some more info would be cool. Thanks

Old 06-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Range Rover

I've not had any problems with mine, so I have not had to take it apart. I am guessing the ball is in the **** portion. I would try unscrewing the adjuster all the way and see what is in that adjustment assy. Do it over a towel or something, so you don't lose any parts.

I am only speculating, so hopefully someone else can shed more light on what is actually going on when you lock and release with the Red button.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Took the **** apart this weekend. The tubes, ball bearing, & shaft were very dirty. Cleaned, lubed and put back together. Works a tone better but still not right. Took apart again and measured the detent rod with digital calipers. The detent rod on the end is much thinner than in the middle. So when you pull the **** it is locking the ball bearing up against the housing rather than shoving it up out of the hole. Now that I know what is happening I don't know how to fix it. I don't want to buy a new cable. Maybe a new ball bearing a little bigger? Any ideas let me know.