Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New to forum, and a ? already!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum, and a ? already!

Hey all, first off I would like to say hello to everyone, I am new to this forum. I am 27 years old and I recently purchased a 2003 Raptor. The bike is in great shape. Apparently it sat for almost a year prior to my buying it. I have a quick question that hopefully u can help me out with. So far all I have done is adjust chain, clean air filter, and changed the oil and filter. The bike IS NOT bogging at all, but in low RPM is 2nd gear, if I snap the throttle it seems to hesitaie for a couple seconds before it kicks in and glues my eyeballs into the back of my head, almost like a 2 stroke powerband actually. Like I said it doesnt bog but hesitates a quick second. Not a big deal but on my old rappy that was stock as well, if I snapped the throttle in second at low rpm the front end would come up, and I am expecting the same of this one.

ANy ideas, I know it sat for a quite some time, the tank had 1/4 tank of old gas I just topped the tank up with the highest octane possible. Should I run some carb cleaner through it, just the kind u spray into the airbox?

Any suggestion would be appreciated. I could clean the carbs but considering its not bogging, I wanted try everythig else out first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

maybe put in a new spark plug did you run the bike until it has no gas in it maybe the gas was bad you can also clean the carb to be safe

Old 06-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Bad gas would probably be the cause. If it doesnt go away once theres fresh gas in there, the last guy could have adjusted the mixture screw a bit lean, and all it takes is to richen it up a bit.
welcome to the forums

Old 06-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

First I'd drain out all that old gas, you can put it in your car or truck, they're more tolerable to stale gas. I'd definantly take the carb off and give it a good cleaning, I can gurantee you there's gum and grime in the bowl and possibly the jets. New spark plug cant hurt either.

Old 06-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea Id say your carbs just have some build up and need a good cleaning. It's all stock right?

Old 06-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Quad Patrol

I agree with the draining the gas and cleaning the carb.

And, Welcome to the forum[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]