Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Locker kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2000, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Kodiak 2000 and loved the way it droved. I recently put a locker kit on it and now it is very difficult to turn. And it makes a popping sound on the right side every now and then. Is anyone else done this and had this problem. And does anyone know how I can fix it.

Old 10-10-2000, 11:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont want to offer a short reply. But thats all I can offer GET RID OF THE LOCKER!!!!! Sorry friend but you cant lock all four wheels and make a turn. Tires on afixed axle must turn at the same rate, this is great in a strait line but harsh in a turn. There is a term called T.P.R. in engineering cicles. This stands for travel per revolution. When you enter a turn the wheels on the inside of the turn travel a shorter distance than do those on the outside. when the wheels are locked this can not happen and makes the steering very heavy and harsh better known as steering crowd. with your kodiak having thee ability to be taken in and out of four wheel drive you can minnimize this by kicking it in to two wheel drive but then why would it not be easier to just eliminate the locker and have the originall steering you liked before. Also if you continue to keep the front end locked sooner or later something is going to break exspecialy if you ride on hard surfaces. A lot of research goes into designing todays ATV,s Unfortunately a lot of the aftermarket add ons dont get that much testing because they cover such a wide sellection of models and manufactures. My best advice is to unlock your front axle or learn to like your Kodiak less