Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

creaking raptor

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 02:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default creaking raptor

my raptor is a week and a half old, i have taken it out riding once or twice. when i have both feet on the pegs and rock it side to side, it creaks. also when im riding sometimes it will do it when i hit a bump or turn the bars. i greased all the fitting and it still does it. like i said brand new bike, is this normal?

Old 06-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default creaking raptor

spray some WD-40 all the parts on the a-arms that move, and also the rear shock and linkage. also, stand the raptor up on the two back wheels, theirs another gresse zert on the back shock linkage

Old 06-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Trailblazer
Default creaking raptor

when i stand the raptor up it leaks gas and the air filter oil comes out of the air filter into the aitbox,

Old 06-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Range Rover
Default creaking raptor

Fatty's right, the WD works great. but becareful because I have heard that it does like to eat rubber seals and plastic over time. My rap does the same thing. It really pisses me off that not all of the linkage bearings have grease nipples, in the rear. Also, did you powerwash the bike? thats what I did, got water in those rear linkage seals by mistake and now it creaks like a used motel 8 bed. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ...going to have to replace those linkage seals here.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Range Rover
Default creaking raptor

Originally posted by: 660rapta
when i stand the raptor up it leaks gas and the air filter oil comes out of the air filter into the aitbox,
try turning the gas off, if you have already done that...your beyond me

Old 06-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default creaking raptor

can i take my rear shock linkage apart myself or do i have to take it in and buy brand new seals, what should i do now. yes i did power wash it. if i ride it like this now will i be doing damage.

Old 06-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default creaking raptor

is there anything i can do to get the water out myself

Old 06-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Range Rover
Default creaking raptor

Check the rear hubs...where they slide onto the axle splines...assuming they are similar to my Wolv.

I went crazy trying to find the creak in mine. Took off both rear hubs, sprayed them down with the WD, creak gone.

I'm sure there are another 100 places that could cause a creak, but this one has happened on (2) of my quads.

Old 06-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default creaking raptor

You don't need to stand it up to grease the rear fitting, just get the grease gun, and a a flashlight and shine it through the swing arm you will see the fitting and its easy to get to without standing it up.

MIke.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Range Rover
Default creaking raptor

rapta660, you will prolly have to replace some on the bearing cartriges if you are sure the creak is coming from rear swing arm. grease all the fittings you can find FIRST. then, if the creek doesn't go away, you can asume that it is prolly coming from the sealed bearing carriers that don't have nipples. The ones that are the worst on mine are the two main points where the swingarm bolts onto the rear of the engine. I have tried all kinds a stuff, white lithium grease under pressure in a can, dab on grease, WD-40, can't seem to kill the creak. But since you powerwashed it, its possible this is the case, like mine. Now I take a plastic brush and scrub it all down best I can and then just run the hose over it, no pressure. good luck man

Quick Reply: creaking raptor