Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blasters are good machines

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2000, 03:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after owning a 99 Blaster for about 6 months now I can say that I enjoyed my time/learning with it.
We just got back from Oklahoma Sunday and had a great 3 days of riding out there.

We visited my friends Grandmother that lives in Redoak, Ok. It was one heck of a drive for us coming from Fort Worth, Tx, heck took us about 5 hours.

I was so excited about going up there, my friend rides a 97 Wolverine and I was a little worried how my Blaster would do up there. He said mainly there were trails and logging roads and tons! of mountains to climb.
Well we arrived there on Thursday around 3pm, unloaded, said hi to grandma and grandpa, took a look at their nice log cabin out in the middle of no where and then set out for a short ride/tour.

There is so much land/trails to ride on it took us all day Friday/Saturday to finally see them all and we still missed some, WOW! now thats a lot of land!
The short tour showed me what we would be riding on Friday and Saturday and I thought to myself "awe, no problem, heh".
Friday morning 8am, wake up, eat some breakfast, and set out for an all day ride, coming back to get gas/drink and such. All the trails were pretty wide, enough for a 4x4 truck to run threw.
We hit some fast trails and some tech. trails. We came across a creek which while crossing I did bottom out but kept on going, he hit as well, stinkin rock.
We found one old logging trail that took us higher and higher up a mountain then it looks as if they tried to block it off by dozing up some dirt and rock in the path but we just rode over it and the blaster did fine. The trail finally came to a dead end about 75% up the mountain, GREAT VIEW!

All day friday was great riding and some hard trails for the lil blaster, all I had to do was find the right cut for me and take it, I went everywhere the wolverine did.

Saturday we found a very steep hill climb, VERY STEEP! It was where some survayers came in and then they laid some power lines down/up the side of a mountain. A guy that my friend knew said he could not make it up the hill on his 250ATC.
Well we found it, checked it out and I was hessitant at first. I stayed up top while Eric went down it. LMAO, he looked like a little ant when he got to the bottom then came back up screamin-n-yelling that he did it! Then he asked me to do it, ut oh.
We started down the hill, hehe, me on my front and rear brakes, it was very steep going down it which was the hardest thing about the hill (just going down it). Got to the bottom, turned around looked up and say "Oh (BEEP!)" Had to have been around 200-250 yards straight up.
Well I cranked her up, put it in first and headed up sitting on the handlebars pretty much. By the time I was in the middle of the mountain I had to go aournd huge ruts/rocks which were in the way and then finally made it to the top and topping it off with a wheelie, hella rush for me.
The logging trails had to have been the hardest for me. The freagin ruts in those trails were HUGE! at least up to my waist in one rut. We started down one such trail and when I first hit it I got stuck and Eric just about tipped his trying to get across, LMAO. Unstuck mine and Eric backed up and we started down it. I mainly rode in the middle of the path with the ruts on both sides of me and he did the same. At one point there was a crossing where the ruts met. Set the front end down in it kinda at an angle, plop down and work my way out of the rut, freagin front end likes to point straight up when ya gun it, hehe, but it was fun. We rode that trail for a while, nothing fast on that one or we both could have wrecked pretty hard in the ruts.

Overall, the Blaster did a great job with the mountains/trails/creeks and surprised me a couple of times. Everywhere the wolverine went I went (with maybe a little turn here and there, )

The only bad thing about the trip was a flat on the trailer on the way there and Erics tire on his wolverine blew out on the last day(which I was worried about on mine) and a freagin nother flat on the trailer on the way back.

The Blaster is a wonderfull trial bike, maybe not the best MX but it could do great with mods, I just love to ride a have a fun time. I am now selling the blaster and moving up. Buying a 400ex as soon as it sells, or maybe a warrior if I want reverse.

I also took my digital camera with me on the ride and took lots of pics. As soon as I slap up a real web site I will post them. I even got one of the hill climb we did, top shot and bottom.

(EDIT) Now the debate on weather to get a 400ex or a Warrior. I love speed, but reverse is very nice to. The Blaster does not need reverse, the damn thing only ways a buck 1/2. I compared the 2 machines and the 400EX does have a few advantages, guess the only thing for me to do is to test drive them both and see which one I like.