Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

01 Raptor, tore down tranny today, here's what i found?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Raptor, tore down tranny today, here's what i found?

All this time I thought that the 2nd gear mating to the 4th gear was the problem. My problem was the 5th gear mating to the 3rd gear. THe 5th gear engagement dawgs were broken. Another thing, I thought that there were only 2 engagement dawgs per gear and that's why they were breaking. What did Yamaha actuallly change? I'm ready to purchase my 02 gearset, any body have the number to Craycraft? I will send the broken parts to the CPSC, hopefully this will help my case I have open with them. Speaking of case, Did I mention that I cracked the left side of mine due to the dawg getting wedged in and around another gear. BOOHOOOOOOOOO

Old 06-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

This piece of gear has been floating around in my case for some time, should I change every bearing in there while I have it torn apart???

Old 06-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

The 2001 had 3 "dawgs" and the 2002 went to 4 "dawgs".

/Jon

Old 06-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

I recommend going with the Yukon gears from ALBA versus the stock 02 set. They are cut instead of cast so they are much much stronger. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

You are right, the 2nd gear which mates to the 4th gear does in fact have only 3 dawgs. Strangely enough I broke the 3rd mating to the 5th which has 4 dawgs. Wierd huh......Does anyone know if Alba sells the upgrade with cut gears as a kit or is it just gears?????? Thanks

Old 06-08-2005, 01:49 AM
Range Rover

dawg
im in the same boat as you my 01 did the same as yours but i didnt break the case. id like to know about the alba gears? while mine is apart im going to get the stroker crank.

Old 06-08-2005, 05:56 AM
Range Rover

I guess I was one of the lucky ones, I gouged on my 01 rappy all the time and never had a tranny problem.

Old 06-08-2005, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider

here is the number to get ahold of Bob at craycraft. I have never actually bought anything from him, but he was a great deal of help over the phone in the past for me. Anyone with his knowledge and willingness to help, especially over the phone(where a lot of people can barely give you a price out of a catalog) is what we all need more of. Good luck ............

817-441-5893

Old 06-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: deltadawg
This piece of gear has been floating around in my case for some time, should I change every bearing in there while I have it torn apart???
If bearing movement action is smooth after a couple 360 degree rotations, then it should be fine IMO. I would check with Bob at www.magnoliatractor.com, www.ripperracing.com, or maybe Bob Craycraft at the number already provided. Make sure and get all 3 shift forks. I was out about $500 for my parts from Magnolia Tractor. Ripper racing has an option to buy a gear set pre assembled for an additional $100 refundable core charge....this keeps you from having to go to a machine shop and have one of the end gears pressed off. Check it out LINK.
Gary

Old 06-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: homdaddy
dawg im in the same boat as you my 01 did the same as yours but i didnt break the case. id like to know about the alba gears? while mine is apart im going to get the stroker crank.
If you are referring to the Hot Rod stroker crank set-up, it initially seems pretty nice. To compensate for the longer stroke the rod has been shortened. This means less time at TDC and increased side load on the piston / cylinder wall, which means more friction and wear over the stock configuration.
Gary

Quick Reply: 01 Raptor, tore down tranny today, here's what i found?