Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

STALLING AND SPUTTERIN GRIZZLY

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STALLING AND SPUTTERIN GRIZZLY

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS WHY WHEN WE GO THRU WATER IT STARTS SPUTTERING AND WONT RUN

Old 06-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer

1. vapor locking....when you go through water the steam that results from when water hits the hot engine rises up underneath the gas tank cover then goes into your airbox and into your carb and causes the engine to sputter and eventually die....fixes are: you rejet your carb to accomodate for the steam (time consuming and possibly expensive) or to remove the airbox lid and push the gas tank cover down where the air box lid snorkel goes under and replace the lid with the snorkel between the gas tank cover and the seat (quickest and oftentime most effective)....

2. water hitting spark plug....the Grizzly is infamous for this feat especially with the overhead valves and the spark plug being seated so far down in the head....anyways....pull off the spark plug boot and squirt some Die-Electric compound (found at most auto stores) into the plug boot....replace the boot making sure to press down firmly enough for the dust ring to sit flush with the surrounding surfaces....this will keep the water from hitting your plug and causing it to misfire and die....

out of these 2 possiblities i would do both of them....it's really easy to put the airbox lid snorkel between the gas tank cover and the seat to see if that'll fix the problem really quick....but then again it doesn't take too much labor to do #2.....good luck and let me know how it works out for you

Old 06-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

muddog660, well said, and i agree.
How long does the sputtering last, after going thru the water? If it gets over the sputtering quickly, then id say the steaming is more likely the problem. If it takes a bit of driving, for it to clear up, the outside of the plug is wet and shorting out.
You can also remove the side covers for a test run, this lets the steam escape a bit easier, and lets the carb get cooler air.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Mine sputtered due to steam. Grizzlies are usually jetted rich from the factory and the steam has less oxygen in the air so it makes it stumble rich. Once I rejetted with a dyno jet kit, it never happened again.