Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 400 - Mud Tires & Clutch Kit - CRAPPY in mud

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 400 - Mud Tires & Clutch Kit - CRAPPY in mud

Originally posted by: hondabuster
You could go to lighter weights in the primary. That way the motor would have to rev more, before the primary pulley would move in. Im not sure if the bruin weights are lighter, or the same diameter...but its worth checking, but if you are a machinist or know one, you could just have the i.d. of the weights machined bigger (removing material), making them lighter. This would probably be the cheapest and easiest fix. The weights dont weight much now, and i think shooting for a 10% reduction in weight would be a good first attempt. If that isnt enough, take another 10% out.
Be aware, youll probably loose top end speed, but i dont think you care about that. Im not aware of anyone who makes an aftermarket spring, for the secondary, but that would also be a factor which would allow the motor to rev more, per wheel speed.

You are correct, loss of top-end speed isnt a concern for me. I cant even remember the last time I went over 40mph in the thing. Someone on another forum suggested drilling holes in the weights to lighten them. I know EPI sells different weights in different sizes for 50 bucks a set.. I am waiting for "product support" to get back from lunch to see what the stock ones weigh, and what other options I have. Once I have a some information, I think I will have my father in-law take them to work and machine them down to a specified weight. Either that or get my buddy with a Grizz to buy me some new ones and he can have mine. I have read replacing every other weight in the griz with 400 weights makes a large difference.

Old 06-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do they make CDI's for kodiaks i see prairie owners and brute force owners have them and they say they make alot of difference

Old 06-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Range Rover

DigitalFusion, If I were you, I would start by getting an outerwears air box lid. Moto-man sells the fabric/screen stuff really cheep. I custom built an air box lid for mine. The outerwear keeps water and mud out but lets the air in. A CDI rev box will give you more on top, it will allow your engine to rev higher. Then you should up grade your exhaust. Something that would give you more bottom end. I am sure that there is a company out there that makes a cam that would help improve power as well. You can go to a higher compression piston and run high test fuel. Lastly, a bore and or stroke with a port and polish will give you much added power. If all else fails, trade it in on a grizzly.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

I cant imaging that Outerwears thing is completely water tight. I have been in water upto the seat plenty of times, and would hate to hydrolock the motor. I am interested in more power, but I am on the tighest of budgets here. I really think it is a clutch issue or gearing issue. Im going to see about the clutch weights, then someday I can try the power mods. I wish there was someone who knew if the tranmissions from older kodiaks are swap-able.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

digitalfusion....would you happen to know what is the difference between these

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/Prod...v?pid=00037313

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...in&mmyId=10365

rockymountains is $70

dennis is 170..

are these what you have or what?.....you i spend the extra and get the one from dennis or will rockymountains do the same

Old 06-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Trailblazer

those are two different things. The one at Dennis Crook is a clutch kit made for regaing the lost power with bigger tires. The one at rocky is just replacement parts for the stock clutch. You wouldnt notice any gains from the 70 dollar one. Plus, the link u gave me is for 93-99 kodiaks.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

Does Dennis Crook have a website? I cant find it

Old 06-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: kawasaskirules
Does Dennis Crook have a website? I cant find it

sorry, I was just playing on words. 'Round here we call Dennis Kirk "Dennis Crook" as their prices are pretty high on most items. They have the best price I found on teh EPI clutch kit however.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

soo http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...in&mmyId=10365

the last clutch kit on that page is the one you have?

are you saying its def. worth the $170...is it easy to install?

Old 06-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Trailblazer

yeah, that is the one I have. It was a fairly EZ install, just make sure u have a flywheel from a chevy 350 laying around. It is the perfect size to compress the spring and still get eh bolt on the top. I see u only have 25's on ur wheeler? Maybe a clutch kit is kinda overkill for you... perhaps just get some lighter weights?

Quick Reply: Kodiak 400 - Mud Tires & Clutch Kit - CRAPPY in mud