Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 400 - Mud Tires & Clutch Kit - CRAPPY in mud

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 400 - Mud Tires & Clutch Kit - CRAPPY in mud

Hello All,

I have an 04 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4. I setup the purchase over the phone since I lived quite a drive from the dealer. My friends have a couple of 01 kodiak 400's and I liked them. I didnt realize the 04's no longer had low range until I got down there to pick it up. I know, I know... its my fault for setting it up over the phone and not going down there first. Anywho...

My wheeler didnt do so great in the mud in stock configuration. I ordered up a set of 26" ITP Mud Lites (10" in front and 12" in rear). The wheeler did a lot better, but was really lacking at low RPM, it would barely move the tires once they were buried pretty good. I then installed an EPI Clutch Kit (oversized tires option) along with a brand new belt. Now the wheeler does a lil better in the sticky stuff, but I am still having a hard time getting thru the stuff the other guys can. Most of the time all I can get it to do is slowly idle thru it once I get bogged down. If I start going again after stopping then its all over, the wheeler doesnt seem to be able to get enough power to get the wheels spinning again. I was under the impresion the clutch kit would solve this for me.

I am really not sure what else I can do to this thing to make it perform better in the mud. Is there something else I can do to the clutch setup to get it to work better? Is it possible to "re-gear" high range in these things or swap in an 03 and older transmission so I would have low? Anyone have any suggestions short of selling this thing and getting the 450 or 660?

Old 06-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a pipe and air filter

Old 06-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer

I see what u are getting at, but I dont really think it is as much of a power problem as it is a tranny/clutch shortfalling. Also, I dont mind doing the pipe if I had the funds, but I am not interested in doing any air box mods as we get into some pretty deep stuff, and I dont like the idea of hydrolocking the motor!

Old 06-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

why don't you take the 26-12-12 off the back and put 26-10-12 in the back to then

Old 06-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just wondering how the big boots affected your overall handling I have an 03 kodiak and lack the muddin skills my buddys 03 artic cat has. but hey I leave in the dust on trails. did it affect the overall cornering abillity ?

Old 06-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: kawasaskirules
why don't you take the 26-12-12 off the back and put 26-10-12 in the back to then

Well my buddy with an 01 Kodiak 400 which has low range has the 27" ITP 589's (10" front/12" rear). They are heavier than all hell. When he is in low-range he has no problem at all. I only have 26's and they are the lightest mud tire on the market. I just wonder if it is possible to re-gear or swap trannys from the older kodiaks that do have low. I think it was 03 that they stopped putting low on these machines.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: radmacks
Just wondering how the big boots affected your overall handling I have an 03 kodiak and lack the muddin skills my buddys 03 artic cat has. but hey I leave in the dust on trails. did it affect the overall cornering abillity ?
I really didnt notice too much of a handling issue. Nothing that I would bother with. I did however notice the effect on the low end power.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

how much power did you get from that clutch kit and where did you get it from?

Old 06-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You could go to lighter weights in the primary. That way the motor would have to rev more, before the primary pulley would move in. Im not sure if the bruin weights are lighter, or the same diameter...but its worth checking, but if you are a machinist or know one, you could just have the i.d. of the weights machined bigger (removing material), making them lighter. This would probably be the cheapest and easiest fix. The weights dont weight much now, and i think shooting for a 10% reduction in weight would be a good first attempt. If that isnt enough, take another 10% out.
Be aware, youll probably loose top end speed, but i dont think you care about that. Im not aware of anyone who makes an aftermarket spring, for the secondary, but that would also be a factor which would allow the motor to rev more, per wheel speed.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: kawasaskirules
how much power did you get from that clutch kit and where did you get it from?
The difference the clutch kit made was impressive. Much, Much more low end, especially in the slop. I would highly reccomend it. I got the EPI Kit #WE391005 from Dennis Kirk as it was 10 bucks cheaper from Dennis Crook than it was direct from EPI.

Quick Reply: Kodiak 400 - Mud Tires & Clutch Kit - CRAPPY in mud