Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

This guys full of it

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This guys full of it

I believe it, what he says makes sense to me.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: CobraR6
I believe it, what he says makes sense to me.
Well I dont believeit because if I was a motor builder I would tell you the same thing or to run it hard when you brake in the motor and every other time you ride It. Now your proably thinking why would you do that? Well I figure if I tell you to run the hell out of it (and you do) I can rebuild it more often and make more money because you want to make more money. Dont you? 0 and when you come back wanting more power because your not happy with you motor when you broke it in the wrong way. Its money for the person that gets to rebuild it.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

By the way he cant tell you warm up is not important bacause too many people already know it is
important.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

Todays motors are super-reliable so alot of people can get away with running the crap out of a brand new engine WFO & not do too much damage, or any at all. Why anyone can say"you should warm up the motor before running it" & "break it in like your gonna ride it" in the same breath is beyond me. They almost contradict themselves. Yes you should bring your motor up to operating temps before riding it, & yes you should give your brand new quad a little time to break-in....not all day....about 1/2 hr...that's all. The only reason why you guys who ignorantly jump on a brand new quad & ride hard without any break-in time & never have any problems is because of the quality of todays motors, not your lack of break in. I've been riding since the mid-70's & have seen motors come a long way . Listen, there is more than just pistons & rings that need to be broken-in...lots more.

Old 07-04-2005, 03:22 AM
Pro Rider

I believe Froooo has jit it on the head. There is more to an engine than a piston, rings and a cylinder. You need to give the whole motor a chance to "seat" itself. The best way to do this is to let it warm up and cool down several times. Ride it in different gears and very the speed and RPM's. You can do this in half a day by going on a trail ride, just stop and let it completely cool down a few times (sounds like a good time for a beverage of your choice).
The other important thing is to change your oil right away. Any shavings or particles that came loose in your break-in are now floating around in your oil. If you don't get rid of them right away, you risk damage to your motor. Don't wait to put on 100 miles unless you put 100 miles on in your first ride.
Also, invest in magnetic drain plugs. You will be amazed at what you find and that doesn't include aluminum pieces (they won't stick to a magnet).

Or, you can just go out and ride the hell out of it. That's why they come with a warenty.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

If a motor is put together right and has all the right clearances it will take what you give it.
I always ride my new quads when I 1st get them just how I do all the time........I agree that the 1st oil change should come after the 1st ride and the second one at 250 miles.
With most quads only having a 6 month warranty you dont want to baby it too long.
My old 2000 Kodiak was rode hard from day one.....even took it up to the sand pit after the 1st 20 miles and gave it a real work out.........7,500 miles later when I traded it in on my 03 grizz it still didnt use a drop of oil between oil changes.
Same thing with my 01 Rancher....has 3,000 miles on it and no oil usage.
My grizz has 4,800 miles on it and I do need to add a little oil between changes but I think its just the nature of that beast.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Range Rover

To me, it's real simple...

...we all work hard for our money, right?

Why then, take even a slight chance of ruining a new engine or any other new component?

I'd much rather err on the conservative side of breaking-in and warming up my engine than to risk (albeit some folks think there is NO risk) ruining it.

It takes what, maybe a full day (if you're really conservative like me) to run a couple of taks of gas and change out the oil to, according to most ATV manuals, "properly break-in" the engine.

Why risk it???

Old 07-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

warming them up is a givin.....but why baby it and run the risk of not seating the rings right?

Old 07-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Range Rover

In my 2002 Raptor owner's manual, it states quite clearly about breaking in the engine during the first several hours of operation. It talks about 1/4 throttle for the first hour with only going to 1/2 throttle just for no longer than 3 seconds...etc.

Why would Yamaha put break-in instructions in the owner's manual if breaking-in was not important???

Old 07-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

nevermind....I guess you havent read up much on this.....or have never built an engine.
I have a 73 Mach1 mustang....351 c.......I built the motor myself.....after starting the motor and making sure it had good oil pressure and the coolant was up to temp......I set the timing and floats.
Then did 4 - 8,000rpm free revs.....on the 4th one the rings seated.....you could see it happen in the exhaust.
That motor has seen a ton of abuse....mostly a 1/4 mile at a time and it still doesnt use a drop of oil with 60,000 hard high speed miles on that motor.

Quick Reply: This guys full of it