Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak wont start need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak wont start need help

So i have a Yamaha Kodiak brand new with 176 miles on it I got new hand warmer grips for it and ever since then the battery has not been working right is it possible that the grips have fried my battery and also I let my quad sit for a while over winter and I didnt really start it to much. When I went to start it not to long ago to ride it. I had to pull start it cause my battery was dead. Anyways i went to start it and it wouldnt come to an idle for some reason even after revving it to let it warm up it would die when i let off on the throttle what could be the problem could that also be my battery???

Old 07-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like you have two unrelated problems. It wont idle, and the starter doesnt have enough juice to spin.
You can take your battery, to any auto parts store and have it load tested. This will confirm if the battery is good or not. It may just need to be on the charger for awhile.
The idleing problem could be old gas, low idle speed, or plugged idle circuit in the carb. First, make sure you have fresh gas, then try to idle with the choke on, this is actually an enrichener circuit, and adds gas. If it works ok with the choke on, and after turning up the idle speed, but dies after the choke is off...id suspect a dirty idle circuit.

Old 07-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks were exactly is the idle circuit and is there anywere i can buy a new one?

Old 07-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

The idle circuit is a small passage in your carb.....the pilot jet is what feeds your motor at idle........you would just need to clean it not replace it.

Old 07-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

also this may sound dumb but were can i drain the fuel from on the carbuerator

Old 07-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

No question is dumb......look at the bottom of the carb there is a screw near a hose.....just loosen that screw and gas will flow out that hose....make sure you have the fuel off at your tank......once fuel stops flowing ot of the drain hose turn the fuel back on for a second or 2 and then back off again....that will help flush out any loose junk out of the float bowl.