Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help/advice on yamaha Breeze

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help/advice on yamaha Breeze

Looking at a 2000 Breeze for my son. It is pretty clean and the dealer wants $1500. When you put it in forward, it revs a little and clunks before taking off. Is this normal?

Old 07-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It should only do it once, that is the tranny engaging. Then if you put it in reverse it will do the same but if you say it does it everytime you take off then it would seem out of adjustment. I just sold my 2001 Breeze the last Friday for $1650.00.

Make sure you ride it and do some crazy 8's in the parking lot as best and safe as you can. Some people dont take care of their stuff like others.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Range Rover

I have a 2003 Breeze I bought new. It will clunk going in and out of Fwd and Rev, it should not clunk once in gear. I'm not sure about the revving though. If anything, it should decrease rpm's, not increase. To my knowledge, the transmission is in no way tied to the throttle. The choke on mine will cause the engine to rev like crazy. It is almost impossible to get it in gear while the choke is pulled all the way out.

Also, on mine, you have to have the rear brake lever pulled in (Left lever) in order to shift it into gear. It also won't start at all until you move the shifter to neutral.

Great starter 4-wheeler. I got mine when my kid was 11. Very stable, good ride. I also have a 90cc Eton for my 9 year old. It is very stiff and very tipsy, do to its narrowness. The Breeze does not have any problems going thru pretty good size mud holes. The 90 cc will die, since the magneto gets wet very easily. I can't wait till my 9 yr. old gets a little bigger (he's small for his age), so he can get into the Breeze. If your kid is big enough, I would stay away from the 90cc models. They run good, but don't take mud puddles well.

If you have any other questions about the Breeze, fire away.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

breezes are fun little bikes i have ridden a couple and they made clunking noises while going between forward and reverse but not everytime you shift they arent the fastest but they do what their supposed to be a reliable transport for youngsters. they are pretty bullet proof engines too

Old 07-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

My son's breeze does this also,

what I was told is that the valves need to be adjusted causing the engine to idle too high, once the valves are adjusted
and the idle is set, it should idle lower allowing the forward and reverse gears to engauge without too much of a clunk

Old 07-08-2005, 04:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanksfor all the responses. The back brakes squeek on the Breeze. How hard is it ot check the rear brakes on this quad?

Old 07-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Range Rover

To really take a look at the back brakes, you have to pull the left wheel, remove the cotter pin and axle nut, remove the wheel hub from the splined axle end (should slide off easily), then remove the Black outer brake cover. From there, if I remember correctly, there is another liner that is bolted to the brake drum, then the brake drum is held on with (4) nuts and "smash tabs".

If you have prior drum brake experience on any vehicle, you should not have any problem.

Brakes are probably the biggest complaint I have heard on the Breeze. They stop great, but wear relatively fast.

Squeaking is pretty common, if the shoes are still good, it will probably go away with some riding. There is a wear indicator that moves with the brake arm. You will see a range that is acceptable. If the squeaking doesn't go away, just replace the shoes, get some 80 grit sandpaper and clean up the inside of the drum and you should be good to go. I think the brakes shoes are in the $25 range.