Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

quad on credit card?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2000, 01:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has any one ever bought a quad on a credit card? Now adays credit card companys are trying to get our money by offering little or no interest to switch to their card. I figure switch cards 3 or 4 times a year and you could get away with around 3 percent interest. Would a dealer let you pay with a credit card? If anyone has encountered this please respond.

Thank you

Old 10-14-2000, 01:46 AM
Range Rover

never heard of it , but if you have that kind of credit on your card you should be financially strong and be able to buy cash .
paul

Old 10-14-2000, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

Paul that isn't neccessarily true, when I was in college I was approved for a Discover card w/ a credit line of 7k, it's scary. This is how they make money. The interest was also like 22%.
I wouldn't advise buying a quad on a credit card.

Old 10-14-2000, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

my freind bought his 2001 400 EX on credit card,actually his grandma bought it,she is loaded...........he showed me the recit,she bought it on a master card(danm number were to long to rember).........anyways,yes he bought it on a credit card so i guess you could

Old 10-14-2000, 11:45 AM
Range Rover

Generally speaking the credit card companies charge the merchants who accept their credit cards about 3% per transaction for the privilege of hanging out the sign that says "WXYZ Card Accepted Here!"

If the dealer will let you pay by credit card, the dealer will most likely pass the 3% credit card transaction fee on to you as a cost of doing business.

When buying any item for which the final selling price is subject to negotiation, your best bottom-line price will always be the result of a cash deal. If you must finance your purchase, then line up your financing BEFORE you make the deal so you have an opportunity to shop around for the best rate when your not under the gun to close the deal.

However, since even top of the line quads quads are not that expensive, as a matter of good fiscal discipline, try saving all or part of the cost of your purchase first. Yes, I know that means you'll have to postpone the gratification of your immediate desire. But if you lack the discipline to save even part of the purchase price of the object of your desire, then how will you ever find the discipline to make the loan payment?

Let me leave you with this old banking axiom:

"Those who understand interest, collect it. Those who don't, pay it".

Army Man

Old 10-14-2000, 11:46 AM
Range Rover

why not? if you are disiplined enough to make the payments and your line of credit is enough to cover --go for it. dealers dont care because they will get their money

Old 10-14-2000, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not get TWELVE cards a year, and pay ZERO interest? Hey, then you wouldn't have to make any payments either, right?

Just kidding, man; however, finally, I believe, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

SOMEBODY (guess who?) pays the initial handling charge (3 % or so, higher if it's American Express) on a credit card purchase; also, the actual APR (annual percentage rate) charged by the credit card companies seems astronomical.

Bottom line: Some cash in your jeans can save you real money when you make a purchase.

Tree Farmer

Old 10-16-2000, 11:12 AM
Range Rover

Yes. I have purchased two quads on credit cards. Weather or not it is a good deal depends on your credit rating, discipline to pay for them, and the credit card company.

I have good credit, several credit cards with practically no balance. (Until I purchased the DS anyway…)

I get “credit card checks” from my credit card companies several times a year that offer a lower interest rate for use of these checks. They are usually offered one of two ways, really low interest for a period of time, or a little higher (still low) interest for the life of the balance.

For example, the last ones I got were for 2.9% for 1 year. Only a good deal if you know you can pay it off before the year is up, otherwise the interest will jump to like 13%.

The one I used when I bought my DS was 7.9% for the life of the balance. Which is way better than what the dealer could offer. (Conceco…17% or 18%).

Since these are actual checks, I believe the credit card company is eating this 3% you guys are referring to and they can be used anywhere that accepts checks.

The discipline to pay it off has to be there. A usual loan (Conceco or whoever) is a fixed monthly payment. You know exactly when you will have it paid off. If you pay the minimum payment of a credit card and take 10 years to pay it off, then it isn’t a very good deal any longer. Of course, if you pay it off in less time than a normal loan, then it is just that much more money you can save.

Old 10-16-2000, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Dealers will accept credit cards and will not pass along that 3% transaction fee along to you. Most credit cards that offer 3-6 percent is usually for 3-6 months. I would advise against trying to play that game. Even though you may get many offers through the mail for the 3-6% interest, if luck isn't with you, you won't get the offers when you need it. Then you jump up to 18+%. If you want to try that route, make sure you have the money in the bank to pay it off if you find yourself in a situation that you now are paying a high interest rate. Personally, I buy ANYTHING and EVERYTING with my credit card when I can. I used my credit card to buy my atv, even used it to buy my truck. I absolutely love getting those air miles. In fact, those air miles is giving me a free plane trip to Hawaii next month. :-)

Old 10-16-2000, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Let me give some friendly advice.

1. Never buy a toy you have to make payments on.

2. CUT up your credit cards.