Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rebuilding my wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding my wolverine

I have a '00 wolverine that I scored the piston a year and a half ago and I'm just getting to it now. I have all my parts and engine work is done ,now I would like to do it myself if possible. Can anybody run me through all the steps. I took it apart and mostly know how it goes but there are a few key items that I'm not sure of like-does either the base or head gasket require any sealant or is it just the gasket and bolting it together??And how about timing? The tear down only went as far as the head and cylinder coming off, nothing was touched on the bottom end so the chain never came off the crank.
If anyone can help out with tips, tricks, anything to watch out for, anything, please pass on....I'm very eager to hop back on.

Thanks

Old 07-25-2005, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its all pretty simple. No you do not need any sealant on the head gasket. You do however need to get you a manual to torque the bolts at the right spec. In doing this the manual will tell you how to put it in time, very simple, just lining all the points up. You will need a manual and a torque wrench though. The timing chain bolt can be tricky though, after you get it in time and have to put it on there, put a nylon rope or long string down the spark plug hole (make sure its a good rope that wont fray in there, and thats soft nylon so it wont damage anything) this will allow you to torque the bolt because the rope coiled up in the cylinder wont let the piston hit TDC (Top Dead Center). After the bolts are torqued, simply turn the crank in reverse order and pull the string back out. If you need anything else just PM me or something.

Adam

Old 07-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rope in the spark plug hole to hold the piston? I'm not saying that won't work or isn't a good idea, but what I did was put a socket and ratchet on the crank bolt and jammed it on the foot pedal,that kept anything from turning, and let me torque down the cam bolt on top.
So shaq, what parts are going into the Wolverine? are you rebuilding stock, or putting some goodies in like an overbore, higher compression, cam, porting, etc. ?? Let us know how it turns out.