Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RAPTOR BROKE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2000, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yamaraptor,
I'am far from being a mechanic but i beleive whats happening when you start the raptor the oil has settled off of the clutch disc and they are stuck together until the engine gets going enough to get oil in them. then they release.
Evan T.

Old 10-16-2000, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

I believe that you're just fine on your clutch. That's why Honda makes you put it into neutral to start!

I'm not sure the lemon law applies to ATVs. However, I couldn't ever call this thing a lemon, it's just way to cool! (I guess time and occurence could change my mind though.)

Old 10-16-2000, 07:39 PM
Range Rover

I see some of the posts mentioning "cooler weather", please explain your idea of this in degrees. I ran about 4 tanks of gas at Little Sahara last week with temps. in the low 40s to mid 60s with no such occurence.

The only problem I had was some sand in the idle adjustment pod that was easily fixed with some WD-40.

Old 10-16-2000, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok Guys here it is !
your carbs blew off and all ya had to do is take the S-h-i-t-t-y clamps off put the carbs back in the boots and put good camps back on as simple as that!!
now as for jumping it or any kind of major and i mean major jaring of the raptor you have to set the float levels just a little lower.
thats it !!
it will be good as new

Like i said before all new quads have there problems.
You just have to fix them and go on.

01 blue raptor and love it!

Old 10-16-2000, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think you guys jinxed me. I had just read the problems you guys had ,ten minutes later I hopped on mine and took it down the road and when I hit 4th it started choking and sputtering.I got home and checked the carb. boots and they were OK.After checking this and that I found that the parking brake switch ,which is a spring loaded button, was not fully compressing . I sprayed a little oil in it, popped the clutch a few times and took off ,problem fixed ,for know.I think that unplugging it will fix it all together.I'll do it if it happens again.

Old 10-16-2000, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Bash,
Last time i checked my 400ex started in any gear...

My friend is having a problem with his raptor. It will not start good and when it gets started it just coughs dies when you give it throttle. I think it might have to do with the same thing. When it was working it ran awsome. Good luck with your problems.

Old 10-16-2000, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Whoohoo!!!
Looks like yamaha have been a bit too agressive with engine timing!!! Maybe your carbs were blown away because valves weren't quit closed yet, or because they rebounded (at high RPM)...hearing that makes me love my drilled cylinders!!!
2 STROKE RULES...4 STROKE S**** ;P

Old 10-16-2000, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer

Had mine since Sept 5th one of the first. Have riden it extremely hard atleast every other day since. Bent axle on a serious tabletop that I hit too fast and wheelied into a landing. Got an Eliminator 2+2 axle and its great. Since replaced grabbar with a PRM. Bent stock bars and got Renthals. Other then that no problem. As a matter of fact just got back from a seven mile night ride on open back roads. It was my E-Series Raptor and my best friends EiSeries 400ex. We both know these roads to perfection and both been riding ATV's for 12 years each. Lets just say my Raptor blew him away time and time again. We start lined up on a dirt road and the raptor is quicker getting off in every gear. I have to lean forward on seat to keep it down. Any way with about a 3+ mile open paved road run left I let my buddy get approximately a 100yd lead keeping off throttle and rolling in 3rd. After bringing the hammer down I was home in my garage helmet gloves away and the gas turned off closing garage door before he got there. Say all you want My buddy couldn't believe it all he said is he can't wait to ride it. Just got it back for its first oil change and have been hammering the throttle ever since. This bike is incredible does it have a weakness of course as does every machine. But no other ATV offers such a performance package as the Raptor and it took a while for my honda lovin friend to finally amit it.

Old 10-16-2000, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Im not sure if im right, but I would think that the raptor would be overly rich if it is blowing the carbs off, Not lean. Im sure it goes lean right after they come loose but, I feel that for some reason its loading up with to much gas and finally firing and blowing your carbs off I may be wrong but did any of you check the plug. I think we should lose all of the electo-safety devices and see if that fixes the problems. Has any one checked the carbs to see if we have TORS set up, because its going to have to go also. It may be the culprit. All I have to say is that I hope mine stays like it is until I get the notion to really hop up the engine. I think new carbs, air filter and exhaust will totally hop this bad boy up. Also about the Lemon Law It is my understanding if it is a Vehicle with a Title, and my state requires you to title your atv's if riding on public land, then it can be a Lemon whether ATV, Motorcycle, or Car.

Old 10-17-2000, 03:40 AM
Range Rover

The 400ex will start in any gear as long as you have the clutch pulled in. I thought about buying a Raptor and I'm glad I didnt. My 400ex has never had one problem since the day I bought it off the show room floor, Who cares if I get beat by a Raptor at least mine will make it back to the truck.

Quick Reply: RAPTOR BROKE!