Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RAPTOR BROKE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2000, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the parking brake on the left handle bars. If for any reason the black parking brake assembly (not the actual parking brake lever)is open the Raptor will sputter like crazy. I broke the parking brake mount braket on the swing arm, thus causing slack in the cable, which pushed the end of the cable on the handle bars foward. I guess there's a sensor there.

Old 10-17-2000, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

I was thinking about a 300ex.. sorry I assumed the same for a 400ex.

Old 10-17-2000, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

The Raptor's clutch lever perch is identical to the Banshee, only the Raptor has an extra switch for the starter to disengage when in gear and the clutch lever out. The Banshee uses a rubber plug where the second switch is on the Raptor, but both bikes use the switch that limits the revs while the parking brake is on.

If you are having problems, an easy fix is to put on an aftermarket clutch lever/perch assembly and unplug the switches. A word of caution though, the starter WILL engage with the bike in gear once that switch is removed. You may be OK with that, but if you let someone else ride it, be sure to let them know or someone could get hurt.

Old 10-17-2000, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

Yeh I'm glad you didn't buy one either. Oh by the way, why are you in the Yamaha room anyway. Also keep in mind there are alot of people out there who haven't had one problem yet.

Old 10-17-2000, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

you guys are lucky it didn't backfire and start the whole damn thing on fire like my bike did!!!! it sucked pretty bad.........

Old 10-17-2000, 07:53 PM
Range Rover

The answer is simple, have you had your valves adjusted? Probably not, plus the cold weather is the other factor that is contributing towards this problem. Your valves are too tight and you need to take your bike in to be serviced after the break in period. Did you break in your bike properly by not revving too high into the powerband?

Blake
2001 Yamaha Sand Raptor 660R

Please visit www.glamisonline.org for everything you want to know about Glamis.

Old 10-17-2000, 09:11 PM
Range Rover

I was in the Yamaha room to find out if the Raptop was having any problems. I just wanted to know if I was putting my money towards something that wasnt going to have any problems. I'm not a gambling man, I may wait until next year to buy a raptor when yamaha works all the kinks out.

Old 10-17-2000, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Too tell you the truth I'm a hardcore Honda guy. I have a CBR900RR to prove it. That was the first Honda I ever had a problem with. The oil press. switch started leaking at about 2,000 miles. So every company makes a few rejects. You just have to hope you get a good one. Which in my opinion is the majority. I also had a 87' 250x, warrior, mojave, quadracer 250, 2 other cbr600, yz80,kx80,& probably a few other machines I ccan't remember. The only ones out of those I had any problem with at all were the quadracer (big piece of ****) & the Yz80 not as bad but still had some problems. So in my expierence most Jap. companies make a very good product. The only company I definately wouldn't buy from is Slosuki.
Have a good one.Later

Old 10-22-2000, 11:02 PM
Range Rover

Dunepro,

My bike had no problems all through the break-in period. I took it to the dealer for 1st service and went riding the following Sunday. It was about 72 degrees. I was pulling off to the side of the trail real slow when it stalled and back fired blowing the carbs off. I noticed later that evening that one reason this may be happening is because the clamps that come on the carbs have cylinder type spacer that only allows the clamp to close so tight. I took the specer out and you can tighten the clamp at least 50% tighter. I bet the carbs won't blow off now.
let you know how it goes next ride.

mike 01 blk/white raptor -white bros slip on so far

p.s. like the "sand raptor" 1

Old 10-22-2000, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Question for ZORRO: Why do you have a trailer hitch on your Banshee? What is it for?

Quick Reply: RAPTOR BROKE!