Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

grizz top end

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizz top end

BATMAN, your half there with the size of the diameter and travel. But one thing you forget. Rolling or Rotating mass, how heavy the object you are trying to rotate will also cause effects in certain ways. Stock grizzly, which I have, and from your Sig you dont have. Like I said before, theory my grizzly should go faster because of the larger tire. What is actually slowing me down is the mass or weight of the over all rim and 27" tire. My stock grizzly does not make enough torque at high RPM's to get it up to 67mph like my light 25" stock rims and tires. You've got the whole rotating thing right but your not factoring weight of the mass. I also said that your idea about the friction wasn't wrong just a small factory to the big story of what is the major reason of the speed difference.

And the whole kid thing, your not anymore mightier then anyone else. You got an idea and I got an idea, I might find yours funnier but thats the way I am. I just had to laugh that your whole reason for the speed was friction. Adding more power in Hp and in TQ will net better performance with the larger tires. I didn't discredit that, I actually said that would help greatly.

I've got about 1000 miles on my MudLites. Mostly river and tight trail, some mud. I've never taken my Mudlites on pavement, just gravel. I get between 50-51MPH on my speedo and the GPS states low 60's. With my stocks on my grizz will do flat out 67mph on the speedo, GPS states closer to 70mph. I use a Garmin Legend and the accurancy is at best 8 feet.

If you want to say that is friction then so be it. I'm done arguing, with this. You can hit someone so many times on the head before they bleed.

Good luck you Raxxor, hope you found soemthing is this mess worth while.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default grizz top end

thanks to Brutebadger this formula makes sense..

Youre speedometer is off. Use this formula to find the true speed. Your tire size divided by the stock tire size. When you get that number, times it by what your speedometer reads. That is the speed you are hitting.

For example:
28/25 = 1.12.
1.12 x 56 = 62.72 mph

There you have it.

Hope that helps

Old 08-02-2005, 02:44 AM
Range Rover
Default grizz top end

yes i have just recently drowned my belt housing and i could barely do 40 when i got it back home i cleaned it out realy good then took her out once again and i got 52 mph it is possible there still is a little mud left in there. Anyone know how many mph will i gain with the highlifters K&N atv power kit? Thanks for the help guys.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default grizz top end

I would go ahead and replace the grease in your primary sheave. It is probably full of crap that is interfering with the clutch roller weights. Limiting how far closed the sheave can move. I can't give you a figure on exactly what difference in speed you will see, but you will get there a lot faster.

Weight will only affect acceleration. If the tread patterns and tire size were equal, a tire that is a couple of pounds heavier would retain almost the same top speed. Adding in an aggressive tread pattern will slow you down much more than a few pounds of weight. Adding a bigger tire would also affect the accleration, but not the top end.
When I first bought my 26" DD XT's, I didn't have all the clutch mods I have now. My top end was 67 mph with these aggresive tires with 5 psi. The same as before with the stock tires.