Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 660 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 660 won't start

Sounds like the carbs are cleaned out now. I doubt if the problem is your carbs.

Unscrew the main plug on the stator cover, put a 19 mm deep socket in the hole and turn the motor over front ways only. Feel if there is good compression. You should get significant resistance on the compression stroke. If not, or if you are not sure, pull off the air filter and listen in there for air escaping while you are turning the motor over. If you hear air, then you need to re-adjust the intake valves.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll try that when I get home but for now, I know that with the filter off, when I try to start it, I hear no air escaping. But when I hold the gas down and try and start it, I hear like a "woosh, woosh, woosh" sound while it's cranking. Like an air-type sound. Is that it? And I'm guessing the intake valves would have to be adjusted professionally, right? Or is that something I can do myself? I really appreciate the help!

Old 08-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

The whoosh sound is normal. It will be an air leaking sound when you are turning the motor over slowly when you are pushing against the compression stroke. You won't be able to hear it when you are cranking with the starter. What happens is you leak compression past the intake valves because they are too tight. You can hear it coming out of the carbs.

Have the valves ever been adjusted? If not, then this could be the problem.

If you know the basics about engines, you should be able to do it yourself. It would be helpful to have a manual. You could probably find intructions on the internet if not.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds like it could be the valves, if they haven't been adjusted. But considering that it's an '05, the valves shouldn't need adjusted yet, depending on how many hours you have on it and if you took it back to the dealer for your routine first 10-hour checkup. Your signature says the bike has been jetted. This could be your problem. If it is too lean or too rich, you're going to have starting problems. You can also adjust the choke plunger on the carbs, which dictates how much fuel the carbs feed at startup.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like sticky floats to me... IMO

Old 08-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

if you ran it out of gas,maybe some sediment made its way into the carbs from the bottom of the tank,,,,but you said it was a 05,so you shouldnt have any junk in the bottom of your tank

Old 08-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

The more I think about it, the more I think that your carbs are ajar. This happens to every new raptor owner that installs a jet kit. You won't notice it by looking at it. Grab those carbs and pull back. I bet they are not seated in the boot. If they are in right, they wont come out when you pull hard on them.

It is almost an art to get them seated properly after you have them off. I have seen professionals and delaers F#@k it up.

The carb internals are never the problem.

If it was the valves, the bike would stay running after it was started. It is just hard to start when the vavles get tight.

Your carbs are off the boots. Guarrantee it.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was playing with the bike last night and got a new story but I just read this last response now so I gotta try pulling back on the carbs tonight. But last night I started it up, first try but with the choke on. It sputtered and popped and when I gave it the slightest tap on the gas it cut out. It started right up with the choke on but after 5 minutes it cut out on it's own and wouldn't start. It did the same thing when I waited an hour. Maybe that'll help.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

I am thinking that the carb is ajar in the boot and there is a major air leak. Putting the choke on richens the AF ratio letting it run half a$$.

Who did the rejetting?

Old 08-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I got it from Yamaha that way along with most of the work done to the bike.

Quick Reply: Raptor 660 won't start