Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Scrambler 500 4x4 vs new '06 Wolverine 450

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 500 4x4 vs new '06 Wolverine 450

I went from a 400 Scrambler to the 450 Wolverine. They really are two different machines. I really like the Wolverine, it feels solid and the engine braking is perfect for me. Spend a while going downhill on a Scrambler and you'll know what I mean. My major gripe with Polaris is quality, chain drive and no engine braking. The Scramblers handle very well and are very fast. In the trails the Wolverine will keep right up but not on the straight roads. I also like that the Wolverine has a speedometer. I only have about 3 hours on mine so far so I really haven't opened it up yet. Memorial day weekend I'm going out and putting about 10 more hours on it. After that, I'll start really opening it up and see what I get on top speed. When I saw the white edition in the showroom, I knew I was getting it.

I think a pipe and K&N is a good idea, not to sure about the hole in the airbox. Are they not getting enough air? The extra power from the mods should help silence those who think the Wolverine doesn't have enough power. I had no problems pitching mine sideways and it appears to have plenty of low-end power.

My major complaint is the rear grab bar. It is useless. I am either going to get the new one or wait for aftermarket ones to come out.

06wolverine: What is the performance difference with the pipe? Top end or low end? I really don't think it needs anymore low end power.

Old 05-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer

I put the hole in the airbox lid just to be sure it was getting enough air.I would rather have more than enough air available than have not enough air.I cant find an prefilter for it, so I just slippped a knee high pantyhose on it for now.The girlfriend thinks I have lost my mind, using pantyhose on my quad.
It has a better low end and I didn't have a chance to get it all the way up to top speed yet.I hadn't ridden mine in a month due to an injury on my left thumb so it might have seemed a like more than it was.I put the k&n and pipe on at the same time so I can't tell what just the pipe would do.Yamaha's website says something like 10% more power. Can you pull your stocker up into a wheelie? I couldn't even come close before and now I drop the hammer pull up and it comes up little then i push down and pull back up and look out its a real wheelie from a 4x4 quad.My friends are much more impressed now compared to before.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

Does anyone know the horsepower rating of the Wolverine 450 vs. the 500 HO motor in the Scrambler?

Old 05-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Trailblazer

I definately can't wheelie on mine. I hope more perf options come out soon. I may go with the optional rear rack too but I'd like to see more options thee too. I'm surprised DG and others didn't jump on making parts available right away.

Temper50: The Scrambler 500 is probably going to be faster than the Wolverine. I know they had to update the 500 to H.O. models to keep up with the 400's and that's what I have/had. My thing is reliability and Polaris didn't do it for me. If you are just looking for speed, go with the Scrambler, they haul a$$. If you are looking for more in features, beter reliability, you can't be Yamaha.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Has anyone put in a clutch kit yet? I would love a snappier throttle. How much did the pipe help in this? Mine will not get a wheelie....YET.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have an older Wolverine that I used for fun on the trails. What I like about it is I can come off the trails and throw a trailer on it to move dirt around, bring wood in or plow snow with it (or move my boat around the yard when I need to mow). I ride with a friend that has a 500HO Scrambler and believe me…he rides it hard. The HO puts up with a great deal of abuse and always smokes my little wolverine. In fact I’d own a scrambler if it wasn’t chain driven.
My wolverine has never left me stranded though, so imagine my anticipation when Yamaha came out with the new bigger & better “sport” wolverine designed to give the scrambler competition. After reading the reviews I headed straight to the Yamaha dealership with money in hand. Long story short….I still have my money. I was actually depressed after riding the new machine. Yamaha still hasn’t figured out how to put the power of the 421cc engine to the tires of an ATV. Now don’t take me wrong, the new wolverine will produce a good ride but it still belongs in the utility category.

To answer your question

“What do you guys think of my two choices?”
They are solid ATVs with good names.

“Are they aimed at very similar customers?”
Maybe because, as you’ve seen in the post, 35 MPH trails are 35MPH trails no matter what you ride.

“Do you think they'll perform similarly?”
No way!
The wolverine doesn’t even come close to keeping up with the HO when it comes to speed or maneuverability. I don’t see you catching air with the new wolverine and I know it won’t keep up with the scrambler on the crazy trails. The only advantage that I see that it has over the HO is it’s shaft drive…and then some could still argue that point. Like I mentioned earlier…the wolverine is a solid ATV but it belongs back with the utility ATVs.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

i catch air on my 06 wolverine and as long as i don't go for some big air it does just fine. One of the atv magazines just did a head to head comparison test on the scrambler and the wolverine. Guess wich one came out on top? the wolverine did. There were 2 main reasons the polaris has no engine braking and it is kind of outdated.They really haven't done anything to it in a long time. Yes the polaris is faster and may handle a little better but it lacks some of the features found on the yamaha. If polaris would wake up and update the scrambler they would dominate this segment of the atv market..... I really don't think it belongs with the utilty atvs either. Just 2 fun to ride to be a full blown utiltility.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

if you all are trying to compare the two of them, the scrambler and hte wolverine 450, dirt wheels has already compared them. i, personally, would go for the scrambler[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Betweem the two? I'd pick the scrambler now that i own 450 wolverine. but then again, why not get a big bore utility quad if u want 4x4 and power?

I have owned a 450 Wolverine for almost three months now, and can honostly say, it's going to be traded in for the new 700 Grizz in fall. THe machine looks cool, handles well, but fall's short in a lot of places. i do mostly trail riding and this machine just doesn't get the job done unless you want to putt around, but why would you buy a wolverine for that? The 421cc motor is solid, but a big dog. i have a uni-filter air filter on it, plus the gyt-r pipe, no performance difference. louder, but no midrange like the pipe advertised. due to the fact i can't trail ride very fast with it, i put 25" mud lites on aluminum rims on it for the woods. great tire, but it robs even more power from that little motor. hard to stay much faster than 40mph with those tires. i bought the yammie optional rear rack, pitifully small, barely big enough for a small cooler.

like i said, this thing can carve trails in the woods real well, but if you're an all day trail-rider, you'd be better off lookin for a full-on utility quad. this 450 wolverine is much heavier a machine to ride and throw around than your normal sport quad, but still has the still-as-a-board sport seat. nice for moving your body around on, but will kill your back and *** if u wanna ride any distance. also, i have only one click of preload on the stock shocks, and the ride is still rougher than hell, you feel EVERYHTING on the trail. funny thing is when i pump the preload all the way up, it'll bottom out off small jumps.

so as an owner of one of these things, i'm not satisfied with yamahas idea of what this thing was supposed to be. maybe if they had a 450r or 700 efi motor in it, with a plusher seat, it'd appeal to more riders. as it is now, save your money folks!

one thing i am going to try before i trade it in come fall, is the clutch kit EPI has out for it. i'll be sure to report back my findings.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer

i dont no bout that my sun has a scrambler and i got a raptor 700 and the trails are ruff i can leave heam but if i had a more sciled driver on the scrambler thay can ceap up i am saying it depends on the driver and i dont no but scrambler an have alote of broblums if you dont take care of it but if you want somthing little more snapey go with the scrambler if you are looking for a atv thats gona go long time go with the Wolverine (not saying scrambler is not a long lasting at)

Quick Reply: Scrambler 500 4x4 vs new '06 Wolverine 450