Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 350 wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 350 wont stay running

first time my mom has started it up in a few months and it wont stay running without the choke on...bad gas or something????

Old 08-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

if you didnt put staybil in the gas then i would drain the gas and clean the carb

Old 09-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Storj
if you didnt put staybil in the gas then i would drain the gas and clean the carb
we did that..put fresh gas in it and it wont stay runnin without the choke on...turning the idle screw does not do anything...have something to do with the spark plug maybe?? it looks good but....???

Old 09-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: skii0
Originally posted by: Storj
we did that..put fresh gas in it and it wont stay runnin without the choke on...turning the idle screw does not do anything...have something to do with the spark plug maybe?? it looks good but....???
clean the carb? sounds like that might be it or your petcock/ fuel filter may be clogged

Old 10-31-2005, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the same exact issue and it just started all of a sudden. Has anyone found a solution to this?

I put fresh gas in and drained the Carb. Did cleaning the carb work or is it something else??

Old 10-31-2005, 01:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Classic symptoms of a plugged pilot jet. Its also called the idle jet. The float bowl needs to come off, and then pull out the pilot jet. If you look thru it like looking down a straw, you should be able to see light thru the very tiny hole. If you cant see thru it, then its plugged up. Try blowing it clear with chemicals and compressed air. If that doesnt do it, then try running a tiny wire thru it. If it stiill wont clear up...buy a new jet, they are like 5 bucks.
If you shut off the gas, and run the motor til it dies, itll leave the float bowl empty . If the quad is gonna sit for more than a day or two, then do this at the shutdown. This will keep the jet from plugging up again.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks.. I haven't tried it yet but if that was the problem would that cause the bike to backfire as well?
It seems it has been backfiring but maybe that has something to do with me playing with the idle.?

Old 11-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same exact problem but it was time for a tune up anyway. I just took it in for the tune up and had them clean the carb out too. It's been running fine ever since.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

When does it backfire? Going on the throttle from idle? If so, then most likely the backfire is due to a lean condition.
The idle speed wont effect much, ...its the mixture screw and pilot jet which control mixture at idle.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, Going from idle to throttle it backfires..
You say it's the mixture screw and pilot jet which control mixture at idle, can you tell me what they look like? I have the carb apart right now and waiting to get my Service manual in but while I wait I figure I can look at these to see if they are clogged.

Quick Reply: Raptor 350 wont stay running